General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Has anyone looked at the TC application questions for A&O? The form is so annoying as you can't look at the different sections and you have to complete everything from the start (there's also no back button so I can't click through to see the questions and then click back to the start of the form). I want to see the questions first and copy them into a word document without having to waste time populating everything else and then it turns out that I hate the questions and the questions have put me off from applying!

From my recollection, you can edit at the end? Just go through, type "x" in the box and copy the question down each time. Or - just make a new login to do so if you are worried.

I do remember the platform being quite obnoxious last year. There's a few firms that use different platforms, when we are all begging for the ease of apply4law :)

Reactions: Nat000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
From my recollection, you can edit at the end? Just go through, type "x" in the box and copy the question down each time. Or - just make a new login to do so if you are worried.

I do remember the platform being quite obnoxious last year. There's a few firms that use different platforms, when we are all begging for the ease of apply4law :)

trust me, the recruiters are begging for apply4law too, but the decision isn’t typically with them :(

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Has anyone looked at the TC application questions for A&O? The form is so annoying as you can't look at the different sections and you have to complete everything from the start (there's also no back button so I can't click through to see the questions and then click back to the start of the form). I want to see the questions first and copy them into a word document without having to waste time populating everything else and then it turns out that I hate the questions and the questions have put me off from applying!

I just wrote random letters in the text boxes so it would let me progress to the next stage, then edited in my answers at the 'review application' stage which is 99% in!

Reactions: tractor12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

In a virtual vacation scheme, what kind of questions could be asked to the recruiters to impress and show knowledge on the firm? Thank you!

My advice is to not take this approach.

Trying to impress recruiters isn’t really the way to go - they’ll see through it.

You don’t have to demonstrate your knowledge of the firm to recruiters on a virtual vacation scheme. You did that when you secured the vacation scheme in the first place.

If you want to ask questions, make sure they are genuine questions, appropriate to the audience, that you haven’t been able to find the answer to of your own accord.

Reactions: Law123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When did you do your WG?

I suspect maybe they're formulating a comparison group for those who haven't heard back since being invited a few weeks ago? Just speculation on my end.

quite possibly waiting for enough people to do the assessment before setting a pass benchmark.

Reactions: dosblancos7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    do you know their benchmark?

nope - it doesn’t really mean anything to anyone anyway even if it was known.

Could be anywhere from low 20s through to low 70s depending on who you are being benchmarked against and how they take the test and then use the results to select candidates to interview stage alongside other information.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JayB

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Hi Jessica, I know this might've been covered here before, but for the FF app, I also have "Updated: Jul 21, 2020" (I submitted my app on deadline day, 16 July) but no correspondence since then (I've checked all the folders on my email, and I don't think there's a messaging system on FF's application portal). What could this mean? Did they review my application on 21 July? Did they make a decision re my application on 21 July? Did they send some correspondence on 21 July which I'm not for some reason receiving?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I know this might've been covered here before, but for the FF app, I also have "Updated: Jul 21, 2020" (I submitted my app on deadline day, 16 July) but no correspondence since then (I've checked all the folders on my email, and I don't think there's a messaging system on FF's application portal). What could this mean? Did they review my application on 21 July? Did they make a decision re my application on 21 July? Did they send some correspondence on 21 July which I'm not for some reason receiving?

Thanks!

Not necessarily any of the above. It could just mean they have moved you to a different status on the ATS with no need to contact you yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.