General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

avocadotoast

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    My application says "Completed - Updated: Jun 12 2020" and I've heard absolutely nothing yet so I'm just as confused as everyone else. It makes me even more nervous that people who applied after me are being sent WGT invites and I'm not!

But I think we'll drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out the method behind their selection process so I really do think it's better we wait. I emailed grad rec last week and they said we'll be updated within a month, which is farrr too long a timeframe imo but there's not really much else we can do :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My application says "Completed - Updated: Jun 12 2020" and I've heard absolutely nothing yet so I'm just as confused as everyone else. It makes me even more nervous that people who applied after me are being sent WGT invites and I'm not!

But I think we'll drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out the method behind their selection process so I really do think it's better we wait. I emailed grad rec last week and they said we'll be updated within a month, which is farrr too long a timeframe imo but there's not really much else we can do :(

It sounds like they screen pre WG.

It is quite possible that they screen/score and then invite the highest performing to the WG test, keeping the others on hold to see completion and pass rates for the WG.

But as you said, this is all a lot of second guessing that doesn’t really help anyone. It could just be that those who haven’t heard haven’t been screened at all. They could have just done a fairly basic eligibility check and moved anyone who passed that to “complete”.

A month is no time at all in terms of recruitment unfortunately.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One bit of advice I have for everyone on here is try to be really specific with your questions. I have been getting a lot of PMs lately that are really broad/vague questions - which means I can only provide fairly vague and sometimes unhelpful advice back.

Try to provide detail so your question is more specific and therefore advice can be tailored to the details you have provided.

For instance, the later questions are going to be far more specific and useful to you.
    1. Do you have any advice for assessment centres exercises?
    2. Do you have any advice for case studies?
    3. Do you have any advice for a case study where I have to present my findings to an interviewer?
    4. Do you have any advice for a M&A case study where I have to present my findings to an interviewer?

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    My Freshfields application says it was updated on August 6th but I haven't had any communication and I can't see anything. Has anyone else had this?

This is common for FF and happened for me this cycle.

Anecdotally, mine showed as updated and I had heard nothing post-WG. I was then advised I would be invited to an AC.

The truth of the matter is that they are likely deciding how many TC offers to make post-VS. The interviews concluded recently and candidates were advised they would hear mid-August. Once they are clear how many offers they are making, they can then ensure they invite enough candidates to AC in order to ensure the process is rigorous enough to fill the remaining TC spots.

Reactions: ibs97

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Just received an email from Harbottle's grad rec team. They received a high number of applications and they are currently reviewing the candidates.

Good luck guys!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: FC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s for Baker McKenzie but really want to prepare answers for lots of competencies just incase!

I'd advise against this - you will probably spread yourself too thin.

I'd focus on the competencies Baker McKenzie look for and make sure you just cover those. Firms don't make up new competencies to assess you against.

Reactions: Simon Evans
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.