General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
I haven’t heard anything back and I applied in April! I am hoping to hear back within the next few weeks as the wait is killing me now
Ah no sorry to hear. Most of the posts i've seen in relation to Macs are from people saying they haven't heard back yet but now I feel my point is slightly redundant haha!

Hi both - my understanding is that Macs plan to do 2 direct TC ACs. One before the vacation schemes that has already taken place and one after the schemes. The last vacation scheme is scheduled to finish in mid August, so I imagine direct TC applicants will hear soon after that.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hi both - my understanding is that Macs plan to do 2 direct TC ACs. One before the vacation schemes that has already taken place and one after the schemes. The last vacation scheme is scheduled to finish in mid August, so I imagine direct TC applicants will hear soon after that.
    Thanks, this is very helpful indeed.

Jenny

Standard Member
    May 19, 2019
    Do firms provide feedback on the watson glaser test or give out results of the test? I'm particularly asking for Freshfields as I know Linklaters sends you the report if you ask them to. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do firms provide feedback on the watson glaser test or give out results of the test? I'm particularly asking for Freshfields as I know Linklaters sends you the report if you ask them to. Thanks!

Probably only if you ask - but even then a percentile ranking is a little abstract/doesn’t necessarily mean much, and so many firms don’t provide it because of the effort needed to explain what it means.

Reactions: Jenny

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Waiting to hear from Macfarlanes and Travers for direct TCs but worried grades mean I'm at a disadvantage more generally.

GCSEs: 1 A, 4 Bs, 3 Cs
    A-Levels: 3 As
    Degree: 62.5% (Distinction in first year)

Basically, do I need more experience to compensate for poor grades?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Waiting to hear from Macfarlanes and Travers for direct TCs but worried grades mean I'm at a disadvantage more generally.

GCSEs: 1 A, 4 Bs, 3 Cs
    A-Levels: 3 As
    Degree: 62.5% (Distinction in first year)

Basically, do I need more experience to compensate for poor grades?

Nothing there suggests poor grades. Obviously depends more on your individual module grades too though

• 🏆
    Reactions: CL20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I only did exams in first and third year and graduated last year.

If you are at Oxford, you’ll still be expected to provide any informal assessment grades (eg mods) taken in your second year.

For someone like yourself, it may also be important to do so.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    If you are at Oxford, you’ll still be expected to provide any informal assessment grades (eg mods) taken in your second year.

For someone like yourself, it may also be important to do so.
    Like mock exams? I see.

I did have mitigating circumstances in third year but I'm conscious that I might come across as making excuses in applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Like mock exams? I see.

I did have mitigating circumstances in third year but I'm conscious that I might come across as making excuses in applications.

Yes - mock exams. I have always requested these from candidates who didn’t provide them on an application.

Feel free to PM me about the extenuating circumstances if that’s easier.

Genuine extenuating circumstances are not excuses.

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I wouldn't worry too much about your WG Scores, this is because each firm uses the WG differently. Some have a "base" you must beat, others will use it as a competitive process.

Many last year wrote to Linklaters to get their scores. I have a feeling when I did the CC WG I got a result at the end too.. it was a while ago so that may have changed.

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Email from Akin Gump:

Thank you for your application for a training contract at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld.

Due to the success of our 2020 Vacation Scheme we are no longer able to offer interviews for our 2022 training contract. However, if you are still interested in joining us, please submit a new application in October when the system opens again.

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Camilla, EA and Jessica Booker

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Email from Akin Gump:

Thank you for your application for a training contract at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld.

Due to the success of our 2020 Vacation Scheme we are no longer able to offer interviews for our 2022 training contract. However, if you are still interested in joining us, please submit a new application in October when the system opens again.

For those who apply direct to US firms, this response is worth noting. Most of these firms do recruit exclusively from their VS, even though they accept direct applicants. I think getting a TC direct is more the exception rather than the rule.

Sorry to those who put the effort in! At least you have a good base for next years app :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For those who apply direct to US firms, this response is worth noting. Most of these firms do recruit exclusively from their VS, even though they accept direct applicants. I think getting a TC direct is more the exception rather than the rule.

Sorry to those who put the effort in! At least you have a good base for next years app :)

It's frustrating that some firms don't update their website indicating they're no longer accepting training contract applications (rather than waiting after the application to tell a candidate). Can be a big opportunity cost for candidates.

For the more niche American firms, I think it's well worth emailing first to see if they're still considering direct training contract applications, even if they don't indicate otherwise on the website.

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    It's frustrating that some firms don't update their website indicating they're no longer accepting training contract applications (rather than waiting after the application to tell a candidate). Can be a big opportunity cost for candidates.

For the more niche American firms, I think it's well worth emailing first to see if they're still considering direct training contract applications, even if they don't indicate otherwise on the website.

I actually emailed them in April and was told to apply sooner rather than later as they were about to start considering the direct TC apps. So I applied the next week. Then emailed for another update in June and was told they will get back to applicants after the deadline.

So just to add to Jaysen’s comment - they might say they are looking but then might not.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and D95
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.