General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I have just received an AC invite from FF and I am over the moon!

A while a back I carried out a VS with Stephenson Harwood and did not convert it into a TC so, naturally, I felt quite deflated. I powered through and submitted some applications despite feeling hopeless. I took a breather away from applications, checking portals etc. throughout July and Aug and began enjoying the simple things in life like the weather, going for walks etc. It sounds silly but I now feel very refreshed and I am ready to put my all into my upcoming AC (and any others that may follow). Even if I don't get a TC this year, there's always next year!

I guess this post serves to echo what others have said on here: this whole process is like a marathon and it's okay to take a step back, breathe and gain perspective.

Good luck everyone :)
Congratulations!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

A while a back I carried out a VS with Stephenson Harwood and did not convert it into a TC so, naturally, I felt quite deflated. I powered through and submitted some applications despite feeling hopeless. I took a breather away from applications, checking portals etc. throughout July and Aug and began enjoying the simple things in life like the weather, going for walks etc. It sounds silly but I now feel very refreshed and I am ready to put my all into my upcoming AC (and any others that may follow). Even if I don't get a TC this year, there's always next year!

I guess this post serves to echo what others have said on here: this whole process is like a marathon and it's okay to take a step back, breathe and gain perspective.

Big congrats and best of luck for your AC!

Jenny

Standard Member
    May 19, 2019

Congratulations!! Now that I've submitted all my applications, I know that there's nothing I can really do until firms get back to me so I'm going to do the same and take some time to do the things that I've pushed aside throughout this cycle.

When did you take your watson glaser test if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: dosblancos7

cgs97

Star Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    Anyone heard from Covington & Burling, Sidley Austin or Paul Hastings yet?

Sort of related - after months of searching post-GDL, I've been offered a full time job! I know the current climate is so difficult but, just like the VS/TC applications, we've all just gotta keep going! For anyone else in a similar position post-graduation and between application cycles, I applied for 150+ full time jobs, so don't give up :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    They didn't really mention in the AC how long it would take to hear back. I found a post on TSR from some years ago saying the firm took quite a long time to respond post-AC (4+ weeks) but another candidate on here got an offer just 1 week after their AC, and it's been around 2 weeks for me, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to email them today / on Monday.

It is always important to ask these questions at an assessment centre, even if it is virtual.

I personally wouldn’t email until the end of next week at the earliest. Just because other people have heard back doesn’t mean you will in the same timeframe unfortunately.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I emailed them with an update of my grades and no one responded... Doesn't look good for my prospects haha.
    Definitely don't think that means anything. There's no way they saw my email, checked who I was and then decided to respond!

I actually made a typo on the email I sent and when I apologised I spelt apologise wrong! She found it quite funny though!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Definitely don't think that means anything. There's no way they saw my email, checked who I was and then decided to respond!

I actually made a typo on the email I sent and when I apologised I spelt apologise wrong! She found it quite funny though!
    Hahaha, if anything, that might help you! You're memorable and endearing if nothing else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.