General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Rejected from Boodle Hatfield after final TC interview. Genuinely devastated, as it was the last application I was waiting to hear back from this cycle. I have just finished the GDL and do not know where to go from here. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone else that has been in a similar situation.

I was in the same position as you last year so I know how you’re feeling. I finished my GDL in Sept, second cycle in with no TC or VS. I was at a loss- I didn’t know what more I could do. However, I went on to have my most successful cycle, scoring 2 vacation schemes and eventually a TC offer at a great firm that I know is right for me.

I recommend taking some time away from applications and focus on doing whatever it is that you enjoy doing away from law. Then when you feel ready, evaluate how you can improve on your previous cycle. The fact that you got to a final TC interview shows that you’re a strong candidate and are in a good position going into the next cycle. This forum has some great resources that helped me a lot when I was applying this year so you’re in the right place already.

These rejections are so tough, especially when you’ve worked hard to get to know the firm. Take some time out but keep pushing through because you will get there!

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Rejected from Boodle Hatfield after final TC interview. Genuinely devastated, as it was the last application I was waiting to hear back from this cycle. I have just finished the GDL and do not know where to go from here. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone else that has been in a similar situation.

My only advice is that there is no set path when it comes to TCs.

I know it would have been nice to have finished your GDL with a TC lined up and the LPC in between, but things don’t always go according to plan! However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going in the wrong direction. I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason and this may be sending you in a direction you’ll one day be thankful for.

If I was in your shoes (and I’ve been in similar recently!), I would take a few days to sit down and reflect. Think about your next steps and also realise how far you have come.

Did your interviewers give any feedback? What could you improve based on that? Maybe now is the time to start job hunting (assuming you haven’t got one already) and/or prepare yourself for the next cycle by thinking about where you would like to apply and why.

You did excellently to reach the final stage. However, just because you didn’t get the outcome we all wish for doesn’t mean it’s game over!

I definitely agree with Lumree here! Sometimes a rejection, as horrible as it feels, is just one step closer to some great news! If you're able to, I would just go ahead and do the LPC. Although firms are slowly moving towards the SQE, the LPC will still be valid and for now, it's still mandatory to do. With doing the LPC, you can learn more about the application process for TC's and also get access to the different resources the university has with firms. It may seem like you're starting over again and it is an exhausting process, but if you're really committed to this path then your determination and passion will shine through. Reflect. Relax. Then get back on your feet and go for it! :) Whenever you're ready, feel free to message me about applications. I would be more than happy to help edit them or look over them before you submit. You've got this!!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Same. I wonder if anyone has spoken to GR about timelines as I am considering contacting them.

I haven’t but if you do please let us know what they say

I contacted them at the start of August when I was told that there has been a lot of application screening happening at the time so shouldn't be too long till we hear back.

That was a few weeks ago so would be fab if anyone else had any more recent updates from them

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
I was in the same position as you last year so I know how you’re feeling. I finished my GDL in Sept, second cycle in with no TC or VS. I was at a loss- I didn’t know what more I could do. However, I went on to have my most successful cycle, scoring 2 vacation schemes and eventually a TC offer at a great firm that I know is right for me.

I recommend taking some time away from applications and focus on doing whatever it is that you enjoy doing away from law. Then when you feel ready, evaluate how you can improve on your previous cycle. The fact that you got to a final TC interview shows that you’re a strong candidate and are in a good position going into the next cycle. This forum has some great resources that helped me a lot when I was applying this year so you’re in the right place already.

These rejections are so tough, especially when you’ve worked hard to get to know the firm. Take some time out but keep pushing through because you will get there!

Thank you for posting this! Congratulations on your TC offer. Do you mind me asking what you did once you finished your GDL?

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
I definitely agree with Lumree here! Sometimes a rejection, as horrible as it feels, is just one step closer to some great news! If you're able to, I would just go ahead and do the LPC. Although firms are slowly moving towards the SQE, the LPC will still be valid and for now, it's still mandatory to do. With doing the LPC, you can learn more about the application process for TC's and also get access to the different resources the university has with firms. It may seem like you're starting over again and it is an exhausting process, but if you're really committed to this path then your determination and passion will shine through. Reflect. Relax. Then get back on your feet and go for it! :) Whenever you're ready, feel free to message me about applications. I would be more than happy to help edit them or look over them before you submit. You've got this!!

Thank you Asmee :) Unfortunately I am not in a position to do the LPC, but I'm hoping to find a job that will help me develop some transferrable skills before the next cycle begins.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anybody heard back from A&O in regards to Winter Vac Scheme/ Does anyone know when we should expect to hear from them?

wouldn’t expect to hear back for a while on winter schemes. It’s still very early for them. Interviews don’t typically happen until November.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I got rejected from farrers yesterday after first round interview

I'm really sorry to hear that. Making it that far in such a competitive cycle is a testament to how strong your application must have been so try to take the positives from it. I am sure that success will be around the corner for you :)

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    I'm really sorry to hear that. Making it that far in such a competitive cycle is a testament to how strong your application must have been so try to take the positives from it. I am sure that success will be around the corner for you :)
    thank you camilla, i appreciate ur kind message. yeah im trying to be positive about it - after so many rejections you kinda get used to dealing with them in a better and healthier manner

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    thank you camilla, i appreciate ur kind message. yeah im trying to be positive about it - after so many rejections you kinda get used to dealing with them in a better and healthier manner

I agree - I try to view it as experience I can use in my next interview. I think sometime it is easy to get consumed by the interview you have/just had and you view it as your 'one shot', but it isn't - there will be more interviews.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Bloody hell, that's quite the wait time! Didn't someone else say they'd had a rejection already?
    I got rejected a while ago..but it is August and many people are on leave and there is a pandemic. I am working full time and believe me, I am not working as used to. I am mentally drained and it makes hard to be motivated..I am also waiting to hear back from 3 firms..it is a sxxx moment for everyone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.