General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi, can someone please guide me on how I should approach this question?

"Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react?"

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi, can someone please guide me on how I should approach this question?

"Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react?"
Hi there,

there is already a thread dedicated to the BCLP app here
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/bclp-tc-app-question.2580/page-2#post-35666
You may find some of the advice on here helpful but if you have further questions or want to ask anything further then this may be a good place to post :) :)

Reactions: 0603

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Is there specific modules that US firms like White & Case, Latham & Watkins and Shearman & Sterling want you to undertake for the LPC?

To give you some guidance, we ask our future trainees at the University of Law to take the following electives:
  • Debt & Bank Finance
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Public Companies

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
Volunteering is one of the things that can fall either in work experience or in extra curriculars. How it fits in for one person, might not be how it fits in for the next. Really depends on what you do, how you do it (eg fixed hours vs turning up when you can) and also how you want it to look in your whole application.
Great thanks!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone know if law firms that recruit typically from students in the "penultimate year of their law degree" would consider accepting applications from final year grads if their intention is to do a masters after their final LLB year (not LPC - LLM/MA/MSc)? Several firms I've heard back from including one that scrapped recruitment after offering me a VS encouraged me to apply for 2021 VS/2023 TC but i just realised I'm unsure if I'm even eligible for some of them considering im going into my final year now. don't know if the firms were saying that out of courtesy, or if they're being more lenient due to holding back on recruiting for a year. Is anyone else or has anyone else been in this situation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if law firms that recruit typically from students in the "penultimate year of their law degree" would consider accepting applications from final year grads if their intention is to do a masters after their final LLB year (not LPC - LLM/MA/MSc)? Several firms I've heard back from including one that scrapped recruitment after offering me a VS encouraged me to apply for 2021 VS/2023 TC but i just realised I'm unsure if I'm even eligible for some of them considering im going into my final year now. don't know if the firms were saying that out of courtesy, or if they're being more lenient due to holding back on recruiting for a year. Is anyone else or has anyone else been in this situation?

unfortunately you’ll need to check with each individual firm. There won’t be a standard view on this.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Alice G and Kablahc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thanks for this, plus i suppose i dont lose anything by applying to them anyway haha!

well I would spend the time contacting them to find out first. The time spent asking the question could save you several days of effort if firms are not going to deem you eligible.

Reactions: Alice G and Kablahc

nymi

Distinguished Member
    Nov 21, 2019
    Hello,
    I hope you’re all well
    Could someone give me some guidance on this question:
    “How would you describe the relationship between law and business?”

I’m confused that since it’s a law firm app are they are expecting you to answer that law operates as a business or is it focusing on the correlation of the both

Reactions: STWO

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello,
    I hope you’re all well

I’m confused that since it’s a law firm app are they are expecting you to answer that law operates as a business or is it focusing on the correlation of the both
    Good question- I imagine it’s asking you to talk about how the law and business interact but I wouldn’t want to say 100%- that’s just my approach. I’d imagine if it meant law firms as businesses it would be more explicit. Is there any guidance on this on their website or maybe on their social media if they’ve shared tips there maybe?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NLaw18, IntrepidL and nymi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Good question- I imagine it’s asking you to talk about how the law and business interact but I wouldn’t want to say 100%- that’s just my approach. I’d imagine if it meant law firms as businesses it would be more explicit. Is there any guidance on this on their website or maybe on their social media if they’ve shared tips there maybe?

I agree with Alice - to me it’s almost like a twist on “what is commercial law” question in my opinion

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Hello,
    I hope you’re all well

I would imagine the former. I read this question as a variation of what does a commercial law firm do?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: nymi

h2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 26, 2019
    To give you some guidance, we ask our future trainees at the University of Law to take the following electives:
    • Debt & Bank Finance
    • Mergers & Acquisitions
    • Public Companies
    unlikely to be the same if there is. But if you are self funding then not really. It would probably be questioned why if you are wanting to aim for firms like that though, you aren’t selecting modules aligned to what they do as a firm.

Thank you both. Does Shearman & Sterling prefer their trainees to chose the LPC with MSC in Law or Business or the LPC/LLM?

billalchowdhury

Aug 12, 2020
    Reactions: man063

Raman Kapoor

Feb 24, 2020
    Similar to above issue about A&O. I did a six year combined honours undergrad so I studied in excess of 40 university modules - should I email the rest to grad rec or just put in 25?
    Hi,

I just spoke with A&O's graduate recruitment team since I was in the same position. They told me to put the first 25 in my application and e-mail them the rest. Hope this helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.