General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Hi guys,

Does Norton Rose Fulbright have a psychometric test? I submitted my application last week but haven't received anything, but last year I had to do a WG. Also, has anyone had any experience with their Guaranteed Interview Scheme for disabled candidates?

Thanks!

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Feeling very down today, I just got rejected by Kirkland & Ellis after a direct TC interview. I don’t even know why because it went really well. I’ve asked for feedback but I am getting no responses and people have told me they’re bad at giving feedback :(
Try not to feel down! I’m sure you’re just one more interview or application away from getting the right firm. It might be a blessing in disguise, you might not have liked it there! You did amazing to get an interview at such a prestigious firm so try to be proud of what you’ve accomplished without beating yourself up too much. Hope you get some feedback soon!

Reactions: OB

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Try not to feel down! I’m sure you’re just one more interview or application away from getting the right firm. It might be a blessing in disguise, you might not have liked it there! You did amazing to get an interview at such a prestigious firm so try to be proud of what you’ve accomplished without beating yourself up too much. Hope you get some feedback soon!
Thanks Maddie, hopefully it works out soon! Good luck to you too!

Reactions: OB

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys,

Does Norton Rose Fulbright have a psychometric test? I submitted my application last week but haven't received anything, but last year I had to do a WG. Also, has anyone had any experience with their Guaranteed Interview Scheme for disabled candidates?

Thanks!

They only send out the WG after screening apps so it could take awhile I think. No experience with the Guaranteed Interview Scheme unfortunately but I'd send them an email if you want more info!

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The Guaranteed Interview Scheme is just that you are automatically given an interview if you meet their basic eligibility requirements. It won't be a different interview.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa

anon1404

Aug 15, 2020
    I was recently rejected from Hogan Lovells (TC, 2022 start) after the WG test. I plan to apply again for their TC, 2023 start. My question is: how much should I change my application, if at all? My understanding is that they do not invite all candidates to complete the WG test, which would indicate that my application passed their initial review. However, I don't know for certain if they rejected me because of my application or the WG score. The thing is, I have passed the WG test for several other firms, which makes me think that my application, when evaluated together with my WG score, was not strong enough. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter! :)

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
    They don't necessarily need to be new examples - it might be the case that you have more/stronger examples of team working already, it is just that you haven't mentioned them.

If you are still at uni, get involved in any sports or society that interests you are try to take on positions of responsibility.

If you are currently working, look into whether there are employee network groups you could get involved with.

Thank you for the advice Jessica!

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I was recently rejected from Hogan Lovells (TC, 2022 start) after the WG test. I plan to apply again for their TC, 2023 start. My question is: how much should I change my application, if at all? My understanding is that they do not invite all candidates to complete the WG test, which would indicate that my application passed their initial review. However, I don't know for certain if they rejected me because of my application or the WG score. The thing is, I have passed the WG test for several other firms, which makes me think that my application, when evaluated together with my WG score, was not strong enough. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter! :)

Hiya

You can always ask for your Watson Glaser report from HL. I emailed and asked for mine, saying I wanted to understand where I can improve on the WG test. This was the message I received back:

"Please find attached a copy of your Watson glaser report. Unfortunately you were not successful based on your application form."

I scored in the 88th percentile so I definitely passed it. You could ask for your report but even if you passed the app stage but not the WG stage I would still try to improve your application. Volumes of applications are increasing, so what was good enough last cycle might not be this cycle.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and Jessica Booker

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020
    hey guys. I recently submitted a direct TC application at A&O, but only JUST received the final one of my module grades (delayed in receiving due to covid). It's pretty good (a first class), should I email grad rec to update them on this? or do you think it's not worth it/needed?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys. I recently submitted a direct TC application at A&O, but only JUST received the final one of my module grades (delayed in receiving due to covid). It's pretty good (a first class), should I email grad rec to update them on this? or do you think it's not worth it/needed?

What's the difference in your overall average with and without the grade?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    (excluding my first year grades since those are not counted into my overall degree classification) my overall average without the grade would be around 69, but with the grade it'd be 69.5 or so!
    So you'd be on for a first (assuming the 69.5 gets rounded up to 70 which is normally the case)? I'd let them know personally

hlaws20

Star Member
  • Jan 15, 2020
    Hi

I was wondering whether you could submit the same answers to an application question given that the firm's questions have not changed since the last recruitment cycle. For example, Latham has opened today and their application questions are exactly the same as last year. Or do firms expect you to change your application

Thanks!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    (excluding my first year grades since those are not counted into my overall degree classification) my overall average without the grade would be around 69, but with the grade it'd be 69.5 or so!
    I would probably add it - there is often a space on app portals for candidates to write supplementary or additional info so I would pop the new grade in there and state the overall grade with it factored in.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi

I was wondering whether you could submit the same answers to an application question given that the firm's questions have not changed since the last recruitment cycle. For example, Latham has opened today and their application questions are exactly the same as last year. Or do firms expect you to change your application

Thanks!!
    I think this can be a bit risky, personally. I would definitely update the app to the extent it reflects your growth and achievements over the past year and I would try to look at the application questions to see how they can be improved. If the application did not pass the first round last time then there is more than likely scope for improvement and some of the content you wrote a year ago may not be as applicable or correct this time round (e.g. a new story or commercial point you might have mentioned will likely be quite outdated now).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and hlaws20

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone I was wondering , if there is no word limit for a cover letter for an open day what would you say a reasonable word count is ?
    I would keep it to a page maximum (I personally added my address and the recipient's address and the date as I felt it looked more professional which I count as being part of that one page too)

Ultimately, you want to be able to write everything you feel you need and want to whilst remembering a key skill in legal writing is to be concise and to the point :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Wouldn't worry about it where the difference is so marginal to be honest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.