General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess72

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Apr 8, 2020
Although I haven't posted on here much, this forum has been a great help, encouraging me to keep going. Having tried for a few years, I have finally managed to secure a training contract. I am thrilled to bits and feel a huge sense of relief. So I just wanted to say to those of you who might be feeling like giving up and wondering if it'll ever happen - if it's what you really want then keep going. If I can help at all with applications, proof reading for example, then please message me. I know how hard this process is. In addition if any of you are starting a TC in London next year if would be good to make contact.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Although I haven't posted on here much, this forum has been a great help, encouraging me to keep going. Having tried for a few years, I have finally managed to secure a training contract. I am thrilled to bits and feel a huge sense of relief. So I just wanted to say to those of you who might be feeling like giving up and wondering if it'll ever happen - if it's what you really want then keep going. If I can help at all with applications, proof reading for example, then please message me. I know how hard this process is. In addition if any of you are starting a TC in London next year if would be good to make contact.

Congratulations! Posts like this really make my day :D

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Amazing news, well done!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Huge congratulations! Delighted for you :D

J123

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 12, 2019
    Does anyone know when we can expect a response from w&c re the direct Tc apps from last cycle? It seems like it’s one of the last firms to say
    I heard that two members of the grad recruitment team left recently and haven't been replaced so this might explain the delay. Also, they only finished their 'spring' vac scheme mid-August.

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Thought I would just put this out here! I did the VS with Deloitte this summer so if anyone has any questions or wants any advice on what they are looking for (either VS or TC) I'd be more than happy to help! :)
    That is so kind of you! :) have Deloitte opened for this cycle ? Last I checked they were not opening applications this year (I really wanted to apply) and spoke to someone on this thread about it as well they said the same thing.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    Rejection from Travers meaning every app in the last cycle was unsuccessful.

I did two Vac Schemes but I'm not sure that helps. Are some firms less likely to take you if you've done a VS at a US firm?

Also how does declaring a disability impact things?
    I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think it would have an effect because you can say at interviews why you're interested in XYZ firm as opposed to your vac scheme ones. I had a direct TC interview after a vac scheme and I used a comparison to say why I preferred them to the vac scheme firm.

With regards to disability, I tend to not put it on applications because I don't have mitigating circumstances but if I got invited to an AC, I sometimes send grad rec an email if I need adjustments, like to check access and for extra time in written assessments. Some people would rather be upfront but personally, it doesn't affect my performance if someone from the firm makes an untoward comment about not expecting a physically disabled candidate or whatever (which has happened a few times before). I don't think it is anyone else's business and I am perfectly happy keeping it off my application form as it doesn't affect my performance. If you have mitigating circumstances I would perhaps disclose.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Tintin06

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    That is so kind of you! :) have Deloitte opened for this cycle ? Last I checked they were not opening applications this year (I really wanted to apply) and spoke to someone on this thread about it as well they said the same thing.
    Given my experience with them this summer I could imagine that being the case or that they haven't decided yet. They only take on 2 trainees for a TC, one non-law and one law. They told me they looked into taking an additional non-law trainee but couldn't (hence why I've been put on their waitlist). As far as I am aware they thought their virtual VS went very well so I could imagine them running something similar this summer.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and 0603

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Rejection from Travers meaning every app in the last cycle was unsuccessful.

I did two Vac Schemes but I'm not sure that helps. Are some firms less likely to take you if you've done a VS at a US firm?

Also how does declaring a disability impact things?

The first point is likely to have an impact - firms don't really want to be seen as a back up plan if working in a US firm doesn't happen.

Declaring a disability shouldnt be an issue at all.

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Given my experience with them this summer I could imagine that being the case or that they haven't decided yet. They only take on 2 trainees for a TC, one non-law and one law. They told me they looked into taking an additional non-law trainee but couldn't (hence why I've been put on their waitlist). As far as I am aware they thought their virtual VS went very well so I could imagine them running something similar this summer.
    keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! :D Also thank you this insight, I wasn't aware their intake was this small. Deloitte is going down the SQE route right?

orange32

Star Member
    Aug 12, 2020
    The first point is likely to have an impact - firms don't really want to be seen as a back up plan if working in a US firm doesn't happen.

Declaring a disability shouldnt be an issue at all.

With respect to the first point (already having done schemes at other firms), how would you suggest we present/portray the experiences to mitigate the perception that our direct TC applications are to 'second choice' firms?

Thanks!

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    With respect to the first point (already having done schemes at other firms), how would you suggest we present/portray the experiences to mitigate the perception that our direct TC applications are to 'second choice' firms?

Thanks!

Articulate it in a way that highlights it as a learning experience. Perhaps consider how in hindsight why they weren't the right fit for you, and how that helped you come to the realisation that the firm you are now applying to is right for you. I think the point is to have it be a two-way decision as to why you didn't end up at the previous firm, and that you are sure about the current one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.