General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I applying to HSF but the form is cutting off the ends of my answers. My answers aren't over the word limit and are being cut off mid-word. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
So, it turns out HSF have a character limit on their answer boxes that they don't ever mention! So, despite being under the word count, two of my answers are WAY over their limit.

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Has anyone applied for Trowers & Hamlins vac schemes? Do you know the application process? I can't seem to find much info on their website.

Hi! I applied to their vac scheme last year. It's a written application consisting of 4-5 questions I believe, then a psychometric test, and then the AC which includes a written exercise and interview.

If you want more information about a firm and you can't find it on their website, I would highly recommend checking lawcareers.net!

• 🤝
Reactions: NadineBusty

orange32

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
haven't heard anything for 2023 (my friend for 2022 already heard back) but it's been a month and a half since i applied so was wondering if it would be worth dropping them an email to follow up?

Was wondering if your friend had received an AC invite for the 2022 TC? Thank you!

Has anyone else heard back positively for the 2022 A&O TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So, it turns out HSF have a character limit on their answer boxes that they don't ever mention! So, despite being under the word count, two of my answers are WAY over their limit.

Quite common - application systems can’t actually count words (typically) just characters.

It means that if you use lots of long words or if your formatting calculates more than one character (sometimes seen with paragraph spacing) it can be off.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I also have a similar question, @Jessica Booker do you think it's necessary to highlight which bits of work were simulated and which were real? Thanks!

I think it’s important to make clearer when you were doing actual client work as many internships this summer have just been simulations.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Quite common - application systems can’t actually count words (typically) just characters.

It means that if you use lots of long words or if your formatting calculates more than one character (sometimes seen with paragraph spacing) it can be off.
Devastating! I spent weeks perfecting my answers - submitted now though so now I'll just have to wait and see.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on applying to a firm for a second time? I understand that things like cover letters/CVs should be updated with more up-to-date and tailored information, but I just wondered about things like competency questions. Could you submit the same response or would this be an issue? For this particular question, I don't believe that I have a better answer to it with an example that has happened in the past year!

Evelina

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on applying to a firm for a second time? I understand that things like cover letters/CVs should be updated with more up-to-date and tailored information, but I just wondered about things like competency questions. Could you submit the same response or would this be an issue? For this particular question, I don't believe that I have a better answer to it with an example that has happened in the past year!
Hey! i would suggest you change up your answers so they don't think you just sent the same thing again. if you cant think of completely new answers then change the structure enough that it doesnt seem the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Think it really depends what stage you are getting to in the process the first time around

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi all! I'm currently in the midst of writing my Baker McKenzie application and was wondering if anyone had any input for the second question: Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you.

I have an answer in mind but the content of which is more informative rather than detailing what I have done in that area. Further, do I have to explicitly state why this topic excites and inspires me or can it be more subtle and read in between the lines?

Also, if anyone would like to share thoughts on the BM application- PM me! I would love to discuss questions and help each other out :) Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all! I'm currently in the midst of writing my Baker McKenzie application and was wondering if anyone had any input for the second question: Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you.

I have an answer in mind but the content of which is more informative rather than detailing what I have done in that area. Further, do I have to explicitly state why this topic excites and inspires me or can it be more subtle and read in between the lines?

Also, if anyone would like to share thoughts on the BM application- PM me! I would love to discuss questions and help each other out :) Thank you!

Tell your reader why it excites and inspires you. Your application form is about you, not actualy about the topic.

Reactions: OB
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.