General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Has anyone done the Simmons online judgement test and have any tips / what to expect?

I have :) You get given 15 scenarios one at a time and, from the 3 response options you're given, you choose 1 which you think is the least effective response and 1 which you think is the most effective response. They recommend looking at their competencies but other than that you can't really prepare!

I passed the judgement test in a previous cycle and I just remember answering very honestly and going with my initial gut response.

Last edited:

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Regarding open days - has anyone heard back from Dentons, Dechert, Taylor Wessing, or Baker McKenzie (for the employability - disability/mental health open day)?

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    I have :) You get given 15 scenarios one at a time and, from the 3 response options you're given, you choose 1 which you think is the least effective response and 1 which you think is the most effective response. They recommend looking at their competencies but other than that you can't really prepare!

I passed the judgement test in a previous cycle and I just remember answering very honestly and going with my initial gut response.

That's great thank you!! Did they send your report after?

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I got video interview invite from White & Case. Please can anyone who has done this before assist on how to prepare and what to expect. Also, where can I find good resources online.

Congrats! Unless they changed it, you have 90 seconds each to answer 3 questions from a mixed bank of competency, commercial and questions about the firm so make your prep quite broad.

Last edited:

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I got video interview invite from White & Case. Please can anyone who has done this before assist on how to prepare and what to expect. Also, where can I find good resources online.
    Congratulations! May I ask which opportunity it was for, and when you applied?

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    That's great thank you!! Did they send your report after?

I completed the test earlier today and haven't received a report, and in the last cycle they definitely didn't send one. I received an email a week after I completed the judgement test saying:

"Thank you for recently completing our application form and online judgement test. I am delighted to confirm that you have been successful at this stage of the assessment process. Congratulations! We will now progress your application to the next stage of our assessment process, which is our online ability tests and video interview. You will have 7 calendar days from tomorrow to complete both the ability tests and video interview."

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    This is a bit of a weird question but does anyone have any motivational tips on how to write apps when in full time employment. I’ve just started my new job and I feel exhausted when I come back home and definitely not in the mood to write and research apps. Guess I’m looking for some consolation about apps and working!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is a bit of a weird question but does anyone have any motivational tips on how to write apps when in full time employment. I’ve just started my new job and I feel exhausted when I come back home and definitely not in the mood to write and research apps. Guess I’m looking for some consolation about apps and working!!

you aren’t the only person who feels like that.

You might want to have a look at this thread:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....idence-working-full-time-while-applying.2623/

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chido and thirdtimelucky

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    Does anyone know if law firms would switch video interviews for telephone interviews if you have a disability? I have FSHD which makes the muscles around and inside my mouth very weak and I speak very slowly. When I try to speak fast enough for a video interview, my speech sounds very slurred so I’ve never passed a video interview. I’m not usually someone who discloses my disability but I definitely want to apply to certain law firms with video interviews this year. Any advice? Thanks!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if law firms would switch video interviews for telephone interviews if you have a disability? I have FSHD which makes the muscles around and inside my mouth very weak and I speak very slowly. When I try to speak fast enough for a video interview, my speech sounds very slurred so I’ve never passed a video interview. I’m not usually someone who discloses my disability but I definitely want to apply to certain law firms with video interviews this year. Any advice? Thanks!!!

most would - you need to ask for the reasonable adjustments as soon as you are offered the video interview

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    I completed the test earlier today and haven't received a report, and in the last cycle they definitely didn't send one. I received an email a week after I completed the judgement test saying:

"Thank you for recently completing our application form and online judgement test. I am delighted to confirm that you have been successful at this stage of the assessment process. Congratulations! We will now progress your application to the next stage of our assessment process, which is our online ability tests and video interview. You will have 7 calendar days from tomorrow to complete both the ability tests and video interview."

That's fair thanks! Such a long process too ngl, good luck !

• 🤝
    Reactions: AH97
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.