General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Just got a rejection from HSF :( ngl this actually really hurt because I spent ages on the application and had three different people read it over

try not to get to disheartened - if it helps, the exact thing happened to me last cycle. I applied to one firm i'd previously done an internship with and really loved and got great feedback from, but they rejected me right off the bat despite me spending ages on my app and being really confident about it. But I ended up getting a VS (couldnt go because it got cancelled from corona sadly) from their direct competitor firm who i'd never given a second thought about at all and maybe spent about 20 minutes on their application! Sometimes you can spend ages on one firm's and they just decide they don't like you at all, but you're the perfect fit for another, so dont feel too hurt by it because you never know who's going to turn round and make you an offer!!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Just got a rejection from HSF :( ngl this actually really hurt because I spent ages on the application and had three different people read it over
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Stick at it! Believe me when I say I know how you feel. Was this on the app or on the online assessment? I think you can reapply for their spring vacation scheme if you were applying for their winter one now but that might have changed.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Stick at it! Believe me when I say I know how you feel. Was this on the app or on the online assessment? I think you can reapply for their spring vacation scheme if you were applying for their winter one now but that might have changed.

I think it was on the application stage because I was told I had passed the assessment. I'm not sure if it was to do with my application per se tbh because I had a few people read it and they said it was good. I think it might have been my uni grades, I do have a lot more 2.2s than the average applicant tbh

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    try not to get to disheartened - if it helps, the exact thing happened to me last cycle. I applied to one firm i'd previously done an internship with and really loved and got great feedback from, but they rejected me right off the bat despite me spending ages on my app and being really confident about it. But I ended up getting a VS (couldnt go because it got cancelled from corona sadly) from their direct competitor firm who i'd never given a second thought about at all and maybe spent about 20 minutes on their application! Sometimes you can spend ages on one firm's and they just decide they don't like you at all, but you're the perfect fit for another, so dont feel too hurt by it because you never know who's going to turn round and make you an offer!!

That's so true! I feel like when I make an application I get such tunnel vision on that firm, in terms of them being the be-all and end all of law lol! I need to stop doing that basically to keep my options open

• 🤝
    Reactions: csyn, OB, Staples and 2 others

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Linklaters(Winter VS)- said I'm on hold, and that a member of GR will respond soon. Anyone been through this? Deadline is 15th of October, not sure why I have been on hold(I am a finalist as well, though I did apply for Links Spring Scheme last Jan!)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    • 🤝
    Reactions: gricole, OB and Callum Udy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.