General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hey everybody!

Just to let people know that CMS are hosting a new webinar series- it begins Thursday October 15th with 'Researching the Right Firm'! No matter where you intend to apply or if you are undecided, this webinar will be great for everybody to learn some great tips on how to choose the right firm for you!

Click here to sign up, numbers are limited!- http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas-event-15oct

I am a CMS BA this year so please feel free to message me with any questions :)

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while and that is because (dramatic pause).... I will soon officially start my TC in the company that I have been working as an in-house paralegal for the past year :) *happy dance*

I honestly couldn't be happier about the outcome - not only it will allow me to qualify earlier than I expected (no need to wait another 2 years for TC to start, huh) but also I will continue working with people that I like, doing things that I enjoy, in the company that I genuinely think is a great business and which I am eager to support as part of a legal team. Weirdly enough, even when I was applying for training contracts in law firms, I was still thinking about going back in-house once qualified. I did not really consider in-house TCs, because they are generally harder to find and also I thought it was only "proper" to train at a law firm but here we are and I am insanely happy about it!

Some of you may recall that this year alone I had a couple of painful rejections for the TCs after reaching final interview stage. I remember crying on the phone whilst talking to my Dad and him saying in his infinite wisdom and composure that "some things happen for a reason and there might a better deal somewhere there for me". Of course, back then, I just lashed out at him (sorry, Dad) whining that this year sucks, I suck, everything sucks and maybe it's time to reconsider if all this effort is worth it. Fast forward a few months and I have to admit that, as per usual, my Dad was right and things did work out in the end and perhaps in the most surprising way, because it turned out that I achieved it without going through the grueling application process.

For all those who are still looking for a TC - I don't have have many words of advice, probably because my case just highlights how unconventional some paths may be. I can only say, however, that although I did not secure a TC in the traditional way (i.e. in a law firm through application, interviews, etc.) and instead was offered it based on my performance in my current job (as it is often the case with in-house TCs), I do not regret one bit all the hard work I have put over the past couple of years and, even, all the rejections that I received along the way (these are truly the words I never imagined I would be able to write one day). I learned a lot during the process, I had a chance to discover what areas of law I'd like to practice and what in general I would like my career to be one day.

And, of course, I owe a lot to everyone in this forum. Having found this place after the toxicity of some other platforms for legal wannabes, I felt relieved to meet people who had similar doubts and experiences as I did. Not to mention all the extra material that helped with building up my commercial awareness and, mostly, my confidence. So thank you Jaysen for creating this space, I think it means a lot to many of us!

Lastly, while I won't use this forum as often as I did in the past, my inbox is still open so if anyone would like to talk about career in-house (which I think is not discussed too often here), please do not hesitate to drop me a line, I will be happy to help and share my experience! ;)

orange32

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while and that is because (dramatic pause).... I will soon officially start my TC in the company that I have been working as an in-house paralegal for the past year :) *happy dance*

I honestly couldn't be happier about the outcome - not only it will allow me to qualify earlier than I expected (no need to wait another 2 years for TC to start, huh) but also I will continue working with people that I like, doing things that I enjoy, in the company that I genuinely think is a great business and which I am eager to support as part of a legal team. Weirdly enough, even when I was applying for training contracts in law firms, I was still thinking about going back in-house once qualified. I did not really consider in-house TCs, because they are generally harder to find and also I thought it was only "proper" to train at a law firm but here we are and I am insanely happy about it!

Some of you may recall that this year alone I had a couple of painful rejections for the TCs after reaching final interview stage. I remember crying on the phone whilst talking to my Dad and him saying in his infinite wisdom and composure that "some things happen for a reason and there might a better deal somewhere there for me". Of course, back then, I just lashed out at him (sorry, Dad) whining that this year sucks, I suck, everything sucks and maybe it's time to reconsider if all this effort is worth it. Fast forward a few months and I have to admit that, as per usual, my Dad was right and things did work out in the end and perhaps in the most surprising way, because it turned out that I achieved it without going through the grueling application process.

For all those who are still looking for a TC - I don't have have many words of advice, probably because my case just highlights how unconventional some paths may be. I can only say, however, that although I did not secure a TC in the traditional way (i.e. in a law firm through application, interviews, etc.) and instead was offered it based on my performance in my current job (as it is often the case with in-house TCs), I do not regret one bit all the hard work I have put over the past couple of years and, even, all the rejections that I received along the way (these are truly the words I never imagined I would be able to write one day). I learned a lot during the process, I had a chance to discover what areas of law I'd like to practice and what in general I would like my career to be one day.

And, of course, I owe a lot to everyone in this forum. Having found this place after the toxicity of some other platforms for legal wannabes, I felt relieved to meet people who had similar doubts and experiences as I did. Not to mention all the extra material that helped with building up my commercial awareness and, mostly, my confidence. So thank you Jaysen for creating this space, I think it means a lot to many of us!

Lastly, while I won't use this forum as often as I did in the past, my inbox is still open so if anyone would like to talk about career in-house (which I think is not discussed too often here), please do not hesitate to drop me a line, I will be happy to help and share my experience! ;)

This is amazing. I am glad everything worked out for you in the end, and that as some doors closed, new, and probably better doors opened for you :)

• 🤝
Reactions: D95 and LS12

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
I believe this is just their way of saying ‘under review’
I mean, it was after their eligibility review part.. I haven't done the CAPP test yet..(nor am I allowed to as of yet)

This is what they have said (email)

Your application has been put on hold due to your answers to the eligibility questions. A member of the graduate recruitment team will be in touch shortly to let you know whether we are able to progress with your application. If you have any questions please contact [email protected]

The deadline is in a few days, and I am worried I won't have much time to complete the CAPP test :(

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Incredible news, really well done!

• 🤝
    Reactions: D95

CallumJR

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Simmons & Simmons application form has only the following question:
    "Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)"

Is it better to list only three examples but explain them in depth or list as many interests, actitivies, PoR and achievements as possible. The question is limited to 250 words....

Maybe anyone who was successful last cycle has any advice on this?

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    Simmons & Simmons application form has only the following question:
    "Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)"

Is it better to list only three examples but explain them in depth or list as many interests, actitivies, PoR and achievements as possible. The question is limited to 250 words....

Maybe anyone who was successful last cycle has any advice on this?
    Last year I did two examples that linked to each other and I wrote about them in depth. It was an example of my work as the Finance Editor in the student newspaper which got me work experience at a top financial news outlet and the skills I learned, like commercial awareness and working in incredibly fast environments. Hope that helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.