Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I had an interview with a law firm for their vac scheme. Part of the interview was to discuss an article for commercial awareness, and to pick it apart and explain how lawyers would help, what it's talking about et cetera. The interviewer told me after that bit that my answers were "superb" and "excellent" to that bit. Then the conversation moved on to just chatting informally about a shared hobby we have.
Is this a good sign or was she being nice as I was obviously quite nervous?

No one knows this apart from your interviewer. Just wait for the outcome rather than trying to second guess what happened

Reactions: FM302989

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Has anyone heard anything from the following firms: -
- Mishcon de Reya
- Latham & Watkins
- Simmons & Simmons (post tests & VI)
- Linklaters (post tests)
- White & Case

There were a couple of people on this thread earlier with video Interviews for White & Case, and a few people with rejections too.

Giles

Standard Member
TCLA Writer
Sep 4, 2018
I was wondering if anyone has done the Simmons & Simmons VI and written tests? I would be super grateful for any advice on how to prep.

Hey! I have been looking ALL week for someone to answer this but in the end had to bite the bullet and take the assessment. But thought I would share my insight as soon as I had completed it to help out.

The written exercise is 12 minutes in total to read and write. The article is not really an article, but a series of statements. You just have to summarise what risks and opportunities the article is talking about.

The video interview is 5 questions. Fortunately, these were your very standard questions so hopefully you may have prepped for this anyway.

Hope this has reached you in time! Happy to answer any other questions just drop me a message :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a reminder of the community guidelines.

Specific details of assessments, such as pre-recorded interview questions and assessment exercise details should not be posted on the forums.

It is your choice whether you share this information via private messages, and it is at your own risk that you choose to do so.

The community guidelines can be found here:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/tcla-community-guidelines.2599/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker How long do firms usually take after an AC to respond and after how long would it be appropriate to email / call GR about it?

can be anything between a couple of hours and a couple of weeks after the last assessment centre has run.

They usually say at the assessment centre when you will hear back. Was that not mentioned?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
For uploading a CV for slaughter, shall i include a skills section or just have experience, education & extra-curricular. Also was wondering if I should have a specific heading for insight days and legal workshops

thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They were very vague and just said ACs are run on a "weekly basis" and that "it may take a while" for them to get back.

Then unfortunately I would just try to be patient and sit it out. I don’t think contacting them for an update will help speed things along.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For uploading a CV for slaughter, shall i include a skills section or just have experience, education & extra-curricular. Also was wondering if I should have a specific heading for insight days and legal workshops

thank you

I would have education, work experience And extra curricular sections. You can have a section on insight days and workshops as you have suggested too

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019

thank you

I attended an event where a Partner said Slaughter and May like the CV to be very factual, as opposed to skills-based.

I think I have some notes somewhere and would be happy to send them - if you want them, drop me a message!

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    I would have education, work experience And extra curricular sections. You can have a section on insight days and workshops as you have suggested too
    Would you suggest listing only open days one actually had to apply to (and be selected to attend)? Or is it worth listing all events - even those that just required signing up?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would you suggest listing only open days one actually had to apply to (and be selected to attend)? Or is it worth listing all events - even those that just required signing up?

I don’t think “all events” is appropriate. I would think about which ones have been selective and which have been about a particular subject more aligned to the firm you are applying to.

Critically evaluate whether you think an event really adds anything to your application.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I attended an event where a Partner said Slaughter and May like the CV to be very factual, as opposed to skills-based.

I think I have some notes somewhere and would be happy to send them - if you want them, drop me a message!
    Hi thank you! I have submitted my app (for WW not TC) but glad I changed my CV so there was no skills.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.