General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    When a firm asks whether you have AAB or equivalent is the answer yes or no if you have ABB and an A in EPQ, technically I think the points make it equivalent but not sure if that counts

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When a firm asks whether you have AAB or equivalent is the answer yes or no if you have ABB and an A in EPQ, technically I think the points make it equivalent but not sure if that counts

It is typically only across your best three subjects excluding your EPQ unfortunately - always worthwhile checking with the firm though

Frenchielawyer

Nov 2, 2020
    Hi guys, newbie here - I just heard back from Reed Smith re the spring vac scheme and got sent a link to do the SST. Does anyone know if everyone gets the SST or if they do select who gets through to the SST? Thanks!

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    Does links only allow you to put in three bits of work experience for its direct TC? Seems odd...
    Yup, that's right, they do.

The justification is that your interviewer has that information, and may ask you about one of those bits. It forces the candidate to pick wisely, thus saving the interviewer the trouble of having to read every single piece of work experience a candidate has had since the age of 16.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    could anyone give me some advice about this? So, like 2 months ago I applied for a firm's virtual insight day and virtual open day at the same time. I got into the virtual insight day, but they rejected me for the open day due to 'limited attendance numbers'. my application for the days was kind of half-assed cause they basically just asked for a mini cv and 2 questions and I was busy and not sure about the firm so i was surprised I got into the insight day at all. however I did really like the firm on the insight day and it kind of changed my mind about them. now I'm thinking maybe i want to apply for their vacation scheme.

do you think i have a chance at their vs? i would definitely be able to write a better standard of application i know- since now I know quite a bit about the firm and i would fully showcase everything as i would on any vs application. however considering I did put down most of my achievements, work exp etc on the mini cv (just with little detail) and they werent interested in giving me a place on the open day, i wonder if it may not be worth it to really take the time to do a good vs app. Ik it's my decision but just wondering if anyone else might have a perspective or similar experience.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    could anyone give me some advice about this? So, like 2 months ago I applied for a firm's virtual insight day and virtual open day at the same time. I got into the virtual insight day, but they rejected me for the open day due to 'limited attendance numbers'. my application for the days was kind of half-assed cause they basically just asked for a mini cv and 2 questions and I was busy and not sure about the firm so i was surprised I got into the insight day at all. however I did really like the firm on the insight day and it kind of changed my mind about them. now I'm thinking maybe i want to apply for their vacation scheme.

do you think i have a chance at their vs? i would definitely be able to write a better standard of application i know- since now I know quite a bit about the firm and i would fully showcase everything as i would on any vs application. however considering I did put down most of my achievements, work exp etc on the mini cv (just with little detail) and they werent interested in giving me a place on the open day, i wonder if it may not be worth it to really take the time to do a good vs app. Ik it's my decision but just wondering if anyone else might have a perspective or similar experience.

Of course you have a chance. Even the best applications always need refinement. For example, answers to application questions that got me and AC at X won't be the same as Y.

Make sure you take the time to really invest in your application. Pull out relevant knowledge from the Insight Day, write using best practice techniques and really give it your all.

Just because you didn't get into their Open Day doesn't necessarily mean your application was poor e.g. it could be that you submitted at a time when they allocated many places.

Basically... apply! And give it your best shot!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Kablahc
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.