Getting overseas QWE signed off?

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021
    I have been looking into the SQE route as an alternative to TC route due to my circumstances and wondered if anyone had details on the requirements to get overseas QWE signed off?

I’ve read on the SRA website that QWE can be attained overseas providing that it conforms to their criteria and that it is signed off on by a solicitor of England & Wales.

Does anyone know if the Solicitor needs to be currently practicing in England & Wales, or of any other specific requirements?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have been looking into the SQE route as an alternative to TC route due to my circumstances and wondered if anyone had details on the requirements to get overseas QWE signed off?

I’ve read on the SRA website that QWE can be attained overseas providing that it conforms to their criteria and that it is signed off on by a solicitor of England & Wales.

Does anyone know if the Solicitor needs to be currently practicing in England & Wales, or of any other specific requirements?

Thanks!
    You need exposure to English law and be covering topics/competencies within the framework that the SRA has set. You will need an English qualified lawyer or a compliance officer (although I suspect they will need to have responsibilities for the U.K.) to sign off the experience. They don’t need to be based in the U.K. - if they are a solicitor they just have to hold a practising certificate for England and Wales.

If you are qualified in another jurisdiction you don’t need qualifying work experience though - you just need to pass the SQE assessments.

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021
    You need exposure to English law and be covering topics/competencies within the framework that the SRA has set. You will need an English qualified lawyer or a compliance officer (although I suspect they will need to have responsibilities for the U.K.) to sign off the experience. They don’t need to be based in the U.K. - if they are a solicitor they just have to hold a practising certificate for England and Wales.

If you are qualified in another jurisdiction you don’t need qualifying work experience though - you just need to pass the SQE assessments.
    Thank you Jessica! That’s answered my question. Now I can check if the work itself will be eligible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica! That’s answered my question. Now I can check if the work itself will be eligible.
    The following pages of the SRA website will be useful:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.