Gowling WLG VC Application Question

BorgP95

Jan 31, 2021
hey guys, doyou know what our chances are of getting a Gowling TC?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there are double the number of vacation scheme placements than there are training contracts. So I'm presuming anywhere from 40-50% of us on the schemes will be offered a TC. Gowling has always said that they hire most trainees from the schemes but I know they do take some from direct applications too. I'd say there is a decent chance if you've made it to a VS, not sure how this compares to other firms though!

Have you had confirmation yet about which scheme you'll be attending?

Reactions: lawyer foru
C

Carys Holland

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there are double the number of vacation scheme placements than there are training contracts. So I'm presuming anywhere from 40-50% of us on the schemes will be offered a TC. Gowling has always said that they hire most trainees from the schemes but I know they do take some from direct applications too. I'd say there is a decent chance if you've made it to a VS, not sure how this compares to other firms though!

As far as I’m aware from doing the VS last year they don’t take direct applications. Think it varies sometimes how many places they offer, but I’m pretty sure you have a 50%+ chance. I can’t remember numbers exactly but (I think) there were about 15 London applicants last year for 10 or less places, and there were more Birmingham applicants, but more Birmingham places available. Basically you have a very decent chance!

Reactions: lawyer foru

lawyer foru

Star Member
Feb 13, 2021
As far as I’m aware from doing the VS last year they don’t take direct applications. Think it varies sometimes how many places they offer, but I’m pretty sure you have a 50%+ chance. I can’t remember numbers exactly but (I think) there were about 15 London applicants last year for 10 or less places, and there were more Birmingham applicants, but more Birmingham places available. Basically you have a very decent chance!
amazing!!! thank you so much, do you have any tips?

lawyer foru

Star Member
Feb 13, 2021

Amazing!! yes they only are recruiting this year from the vac scheme!! I have not had confirmation yet? have u? x

Reactions: BorgP95

BorgP95

Jan 31, 2021
Amazing!! yes they only are recruiting this year from the vac scheme!! I have not had confirmation yet? have u? x

No, not yet. I'm guessing it takes a little while to sort out everyone's allocations!

Well that's great news for us then! :D I'm really hoping to land an offer with Gowling - they have been top of my list since day 1.

Good luck on which ever scheme you land on - hopefully we'll get some good news x

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.