Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
Got invited to a Pinsent Masons assessment centre! Anyone know what to expect? I take it, from their website, they don't do group exercises or presentations but do they do another psychometric test at the centre? I've read they've done that previously but nothing about it on their site!

Hi, how did you find the psychometric test?? I’m doing mine tomorrow! (Manchester office)

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
!

Thank you! Sorry for the mistake guys, I meant one year not one module. I’ve deleted the post to reduce confusion :)

Just to bust some myths here Bakers will not reject you if you have more than one 2:2 module or overall degree grade for more than one year.

I know this because I know someone who has an AC and got an overall 2:2 in both first and second year without any mitigating circumstances at any point in their academic history. So no matter the amount of 2:2s still apply as long as it’s a 2:1 degree.

Reactions: AspiringSol and Demna87

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Hi I was rejected from Linklaters Spring VS. I applied on the deadline and did the WG test 4 days later so probably one of the later applications. I received 33/40 for WG, in the 83% percentile so I think they make decisions heavily based on the situational judgements which is a bit surprising.
I think the firm really places a lot of importance on cultural fit based on the CAPP assessment, I have a friend who was in the 98% percentile in the WG test when he applied for the winter VS but got rejected

Reactions: Alice G

T1

Standard Member
Jan 13, 2020
Got invited to a Pinsent Masons assessment centre! Anyone know what to expect? I take it, from their website, they don't do group exercises or presentations but do they do another psychometric test at the centre? I've read they've done that previously but nothing about it on their site!

Which office is this for?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I'm still waiting for Reed, I contacted them earlier this week and they said they are focusing on Winter right now. Been waiting since start of November! When did you apply?

I applied early November too! Did they happen to tell you by when we'll hear back?

I didn't know the winter vacation scheme still hadn't happened. Was under the impression it would be over Christmas break since it was targeted at graduates.

I really hope we do hear back soon. I went to their Open Day as well. Really liked the firm.

The stress games I play are exhausting haha.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
It's a really hard mindset to get out of. You don't have to be supportive or happy. Just try not to be negative or focus on what they are doing. Channel that negativity into making yourself the best version of you :)

It does take some time and there will be moments when you feel low. The moment I stopped comparing myself to others, I started feeling more confident and happier in myself. If you want to talk I am a inbox away! This took quite a while to get through but the sooner you start the better it will be for you :)

Your time will come :D

I tried to start a conversation but it says your profile is limited so I can't! I do want to ask you further questions, so please message me :) Thank you again for the words of encouragement.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I applied early November too! Did they happen to tell you by when we'll hear back?

I didn't know the winter vacation scheme still hadn't happened. Was under the impression it would be over Christmas break since it was targeted at graduates.

I really hope we do hear back soon. I went to their Open Day as well. Really liked the firm.

Yeh think they're the only firm who do theirs in Feb. They said we will get an update soon - but that might mean another email saying that they will give a response soon.

Also really like the firm! I know quite a few people didn't get passed the SJT so wondering how big the pool of applicants are, but that's never a good game to play...

Did Grad Rec say anything interesting at the Open Day?

Reactions: FutureCity

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018

No it's in February - that's why they are concentrating on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FutureCity

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
The wait for Travers Smith is haunting me...plus I’ve got a HSF AC tomorrow and I’m stressing out my mind (I’m non law)
Please don’t worry. Just be yourself and keep calm - that is the key to the HSF AC and do not waffle because you’re nervous like I did! A minor mistake but it’s all about just being measured on the day :) really good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.