Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I’m in shock!!! Just got a Travers Smith interview! Had honestly given up for this cycle.

it’s one 45 minute interview with one partner! Any tips or advice would be really appreciated - likely my last chance for this year!!

Congrats! When did you apply? I’m still waiting and applied in October

Reactions: Zsaurcaks1

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    I'm not sure but emailed grad recruitment and they said the following and I did mention that my portal was updated:

We are still in the process of interviewing for the vacation scheme and we will shortly start reviewing training contract applications. As soon as we have an update for you, we will be in touch. This is likely to be over the next few weeks.

This was Freshfields btw :)

@ZhangW
    @Helena

Last edited:
    Reactions: 1 person

iamJW

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 21, 2019
    The worst rejections are when you have done something for a firm. Like for example with me, I got rejected from Latham & Watkins and I was their Brand Ambassador. I was so shattered when I found out that I got rejected, It honestly hurts more, knowing that you would at least do an interview for vac scheme, would compensate the work that you have done for them.

Yes, I completely agree! Personally, I find the rejections that sting the most come from firms that you have really taken the time to get to know and subsequently put in a lot of hard work and effort redrafting/practising for the tests, to simply fall short at the first hurdle (not saying this shouldn't be expected or should guarantee reaching the next round). Yet, when you cannot see any progress being made in terms of having some form of significant development in the process and ultimately reaching the next stage, it is honestly very frustrating and I am not sure how I can really move on. Especially when each cycle seems to reach the same outcome.

However, it is very reassuring to know that I am not the only one facing or experiencing these difficulties too and I have faith that everyone in this fantastic community can prosper and achieve their goals!

(Apologies for the rather long message)

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Penelope, Jade, Chido and 15 others

iamJW

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 21, 2019
    Honestly, I totally understand that. I really wish I had the answers because I too feel the same as you. It is just sometimes good to remember not to value your self worth based on app success and just try to keep perspective. All good things do come to those who persevere :)

Thanks for the kind words! I really hope so at this point!

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Out of curiosity, did anybody receive a straight rejection from Bird & Bird post-VI, or did everyone else receive that email where they said they were impressed with the application form, test results and VI, but their ACs were full?

(This happened like a month ago but I've become increasingly curious)

I got a straight rejection post VI. I forgot to breathe when I was talking and ended up having to stop and gasp for breath during the first question :cool:

• 🤝
    Reactions: D95 and Hope3345

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    I'm not sure but emailed grad recruitment and they said the following and I did mention that my portal was updated:

We are still in the process of interviewing for the vacation scheme and we will shortly start reviewing training contract applications. As soon as we have an update for you, we will be in touch. This is likely to be over the next few weeks.
    Which firm?

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    For anyone that has been offered a direct TC with Links, how long after the AC did you hear back?

I'm new to TCLA and I must say that all of the posts have been every insightful, feels very reassuring to know that I'm part of such a lovely, helpful group of lawyers-to-be. Best of luck to everyone waiting :)

Hey! :) When was your AC?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi has anyone else heard back from BCLP? Got invited to the AC but there is only one slot available for next week. Does anyone have any advise?

Congratulations! When did you apply to them? I’m waiting to hear back and applied on the 11th

Hope3345

Mar 14, 2018
    I got a straight rejection post VI. I forgot to breathe when I was talking and ended up having to stop and gasp for breath during the first question :cool:
    Oh god, that sounds like a nightmare! I hate VIs so much, I'm really getting put off applying for any firms that use them.

Thanks for the response though, helpful to get a bit more insight into whatever their process is...

Reactions: w2719a

Biena

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2019
    For anyone that has been offered a direct TC with Links, how long after the AC did you hear back?

I'm new to TCLA and I must say that all of the posts have been every insightful, feels very reassuring to know that I'm part of such a lovely, helpful group of lawyers-to-be. Best of luck to everyone waiting :)

I heard back the day after!

Reactions: champ591

Flk10

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2020
    Yes, I completely agree! Personally, I find the rejections that sting the most come from firms that you have really taken the time to get to know and subsequently put in a lot of hard work and effort redrafting/practising for the tests, to simply fall short at the first hurdle (not saying this shouldn't be expected or should guarantee reaching the next round). Yet, when you cannot see any progress being made in terms of having some form of significant development in the process and ultimately reaching the next stage, it is honestly very frustrating and I am not sure how I can really move on. Especially when each cycle seems to reach the same outcome.

However, it is very reassuring to know that I am not the only one facing or experiencing these difficulties too and I have faith that everyone in this fantastic community can prosper and achieve their goals!

(Apologies for the rather long message)
    In my experience, it’s the applications that you least expect to succeed that sometimes do.

I’ve had applications that I drafted in a rush on the deadline get through to the next round, whereas others where I’ve done a first year scheme with the firm and spent hours finessing the content get immediately rejected.

Success can often come from the unlikeliest places.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.