Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
I have just received an invitation to complete a Watson-Glaser from one of my top firms. I am so happy to have passed the application stage on two of my six TC apps so far! I have the equivalent of C, E, E at A-level so I was worried that I was deluded in my quest to train at a city firm. Yay!

Hi Camilla,

Congrats! I have lower than average A levels and have mostly avoided applying for firms with AAB/ABB requirements. Can I ask how you’ve gotten around those requirements?

Thank you and well done again! Fingers crossed for the rest of your apps!

Reactions: Amanda

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have just received an invitation to complete a Watson-Glaser from one of my top firms. I am so happy to have passed the application stage on two of my six TC apps so far! I have the equivalent of C, E, E at A-level so I was worried that I was deluded in my quest to train at a city firm. Yay!

Smashing it, well done!

Reactions: Camilla

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    Congrats thats fantastic news !

Reactions: Camilla

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi Camilla,

Congrats! I have lower than average A levels and have mostly avoided applying for firms with AAB/ABB requirements. Can I ask how you’ve gotten around those requirements?

Thank you and well done again! Fingers crossed for the rest of your apps!

Thank you for the kind words!

I began looking for firms without A-level requirements, but I found myself looking at firms that I did not have an interest in just because they might consider me.

I applied to two firms without A-level requirements because I have a genuine desire to work at both firms and my work experience aligns with the strengths of both firms. I was successful in passing the application stage for one of them, and I am still waiting to hear back from BCLP (like everyone else!!)

The rest of the firms I applied to had AAB/ABB A-level requirements. I have been successful in one, rejected from one, and I am still waiting to hear back from the rest.

I must explain that I graduated in 2012 and I have been working in an insurance dispute resolution role for the past seven years, so I do have good work experience and something a bit different to bring to the table. Before I applied, I emailed each firm's recruitment team explaining the situation and asking whether I would be automatically rejected. Most of the firms said they would look at my application. I would advise you to do the same and to send emails to the firms you want to apply to.

I do not believe we will be automatically rejected for not meeting the A-level requirements, but we do need to stand out in our applications and apply to the right firms for the right reasons.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: ABC2019

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    May 27, 2019

I began looking for firms without A-level requirements, but I found myself looking at firms that I did not have an interest in just because they might consider me.

I applied to two firms without A-level requirements because I have a genuine desire to work at both firms and my work experience aligns with the strengths of both firms. I was successful in passing the application stage for one of them, and I am still waiting to hear back from BCLP (like everyone else!!)

The rest of the firms I applied to had AAB/ABB A-level requirements. I have been successful in one, rejected from one, and I am still waiting to hear back from the rest.

I must explain that I graduated in 2012 and I have been working in an insurance dispute resolution role for the past seven years, so I do have good work experience and something a bit different to bring to the table. Before I applied, I emailed each firm's recruitment team explaining the situation and asking whether I would be automatically rejected. Most of the firms said they would look at my application. I would advise you to do the same and to send emails to the firms you want to apply to.

I do not believe we will be automatically rejected for not meeting the A-level requirements, but we do need to stand out in our applications and apply to the right firms for the right reasons.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Believe it or not, we don’t have dissimilar backgrounds. I graduated in 2013 and have also worked in a couple of insurance litigation roles.

Also waiting to hear from BCLP but will definitely reach out to firms with higher A level requirements than I’ve achieved :)

Hope your positive news continues!

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Believe it or not, we don’t have dissimilar backgrounds. I graduated in 2013 and have also worked in a couple of insurance litigation roles.

Also waiting to hear from BCLP but will definitely reach out to firms with higher A level requirements than I’ve achieved :)

Hope your positive news continues!

What a coincidence!

That's fantastic work experience. I think without solid work experience we might have struggled but we should be fine now if we market ourselves well!

Good luck!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Does anyone know where I can locate the Cheat Sheets on TCLA - I know there was one on M&A and Financial markets but I’m trying to locate others. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Any advice on how in interview you incorporate your genuine interest in working for a firm through the deals they have worked on - particularly in restructuring and finance?
    Any advice would be great.
    Thx

ABC2019

Standard Member
    Feb 18, 2019
    Glad some of my fellow 2012/13 graduates are progressing through the application cycle and closing in on those TCs!

I am in the same boat in terms of the below avg. A-level requirements, however strong legal/commercial and international experience gathered in the meantime has put me in a stronger position alongside heaps of confidence and self-belief. This year I secured x2 vac schemes with city firms (awaiting outcomes for TC offers) and of 6 VS/TC applications this year progressed beyond app for 3 of them so it can be done. The persistence and additional experience that you bring to firms with a few more years work can be invaluable if marketed well!

Fingers cross for your direct apps and those you are still waiting to hear from!

A

Hope that helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.