Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawGal

Sep 13, 2018
Did Pinsent Masons recruit on a rolling basis this year for their TC? - I can't seem to find much information regarding it and i know on TCLA relevant page it says they 'may not' - not sure if you have any knowledge of this - but if you do that'd be great, cheers! (Also, good luck with the test!)

Sorry I have no idea if they recruit on a rolling basis. I don't think so though because I sent my application on the date of the deadline, wouldn't recommend doing that though!

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
@Jessica Booker and @Jaysen do you think it’s a good idea to send an email to the recruitment partner/HR contact after an AC to thank them for their time etc? If yes, how do you advise I include in the email?

I had my assessment centre yesterday and it consisted of 3 things: proofreading exercise, legal analysis, group discussion followed by a negotiation exercise. I think I did pretty good on the first and last one but not so well on the legal analysis because I Didn’t get to finish my answer. In your experience is the same weight assigned to all exercises or some are more valued than others?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker and @Jaysen do you think it’s a good idea to send an email to the recruitment partner/HR contact after an AC to thank them for their time etc? If yes, how do you advise I include in the email?

I had my assessment centre yesterday and it consisted of 3 things: proofreading exercise, legal analysis, group discussion followed by a negotiation exercise. I think I did pretty good on the first and last one but not so well on the legal analysis because I Didn’t get to finish my answer. In your experience is the same weight assigned to all exercises or some are more valued than others?

Nothing wrong with doing it - I just don’t think it is a necessity to do it. Most people don’t and it has no implications on how they are reviewed.

Just keep it short - if it’s anything more than a paragraph it’s too long. Both the recruiters and partners will want to be able to read it on their phone between meetings. Quite frankly they will read it, think “that’s nice” and then delete it - they may drop you a quick email back saying thanks and you’ll hear back by x time. It’s not going to contribute to any decision making or influence them in anyway.

No set answer on the above - it isn’t quite as simple as one exercise though. Typically firms will be looking for competencies or strengths across exercises and they are reviewed holistically because of that. Wouldn’t worry too much about not finishing the exercise - exercises are designed in a way that a significantly proportion of people are likely not to finish them. Doesn’t mean you haven’t done well in it either.

Reactions: Salma and NatAsh

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019

Can I ask what the proofreading exercise entailed? What was the legal analysis exercise?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Completely agree with Jess. I never did it and didn't know others were doing it at the time, but it's completely up to you.

I'd also echo keeping it short and to the point with any email you send to a firm. I quite often get candidates messaging to ask if their email is OK before sending. Most of the time their draft emails are too long and there's too much waffle. (It's also sometimes passive aggressive when candidates are emailing having not heard back from a firm).

tcplz

Premium Member
    Aug 12, 2019
    Hey! Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith about ac? They said they will get back to all candidates but I’m yet to hear back from them despite the ac being scheduled for this or next week :/

HenryGirton

Jul 28, 2019
    Hey! Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith about ac? They said they will get back to all candidates but I’m yet to hear back from them despite the ac being scheduled for this or next week :/

I have no idea what has happened to Reed Smith this cycle. I have noticed they have sent out quite a few SST rejections but have yet to see an AC offer. I get the impression they have been inundated with applications this year hence the constant update emails.

Reactions: Vany

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
    Nothing wrong with doing it - I just don’t think it is a necessity to do it. Most people don’t and it has no implications on how they are reviewed.

Just keep it short - if it’s anything more than a paragraph it’s too long. Both the recruiters and partners will want to be able to read it on their phone between meetings. Quite frankly they will read it, think “that’s nice” and then delete it - they may drop you a quick email back saying thanks and you’ll hear back by x time. It’s not going to contribute to any decision making or influence them in anyway.

No set answer on the above - it isn’t quite as simple as one exercise though. Typically firms will be looking for competencies or strengths across exercises and they are reviewed holistically because of that. Wouldn’t worry too much about not finishing the exercise - exercises are designed in a way that a significantly proportion of people are likely not to finish them. Doesn’t mean you haven’t done well in it either.

Thanks @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen for your replies and advice. I note your point Jaysen that it is passive aggressive to email not having heard back so I will not send the email. Plus like Jessica said, they will probably read it then delete it and it wont make any difference to the outcome anyways. Thanks again

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
    Can I ask what the proofreading exercise entailed? What was the legal analysis exercise?

Thanks!
    For proofreading we were given a 3 page order that was to be published. The document had spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, repetitions and some omissions too. We had 30mins for this task.
    For the legal analysis, we were given a 2 page document and a briefing note. We had to list statements from the docs supporting its categorization as a Guarantee and statements supporting its categorization as an Indemnity. we had an hour to do this.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Penelope and LawGal

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen for your replies and advice. I note your point Jaysen that it is passive aggressive to email not having heard back so I will not send the email. Plus like Jessica said, they will probably read it then delete it and it wont make any difference to the outcome anyways. Thanks again

Yep makes sense.

Just to be clear, it's not passive aggressive to send an email to chase up, it's more that candidates sometimes phrase an email in that way.

Atrayee De

Aug 14, 2019
    Hello,
    Thank you for all the advice. I was thinking of applying to Slaughter and May and I had a question regarding the cv, so how exactly are we to give the breakdown because at undergrad level as an international student I had several subjects so I dont really know how should I approach this part

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello,
    Thank you for all the advice. I was thinking of applying to Slaughter and May and I had a question regarding the cv, so how exactly are we to give the breakdown because at undergrad level as an international student I had several subjects so I dont really know how should I approach this part

How many modules per year?

Oliver Wick

Aug 29, 2018
    Does anyone know last year’s vac scheme application questions for any of the following firms: Ashurst, BCLP, Bird and Bird, Charles Russell Speechlys, DLA Piper, Hogan Lovells, Norton Rose Fulbright, Reed Smith, Taylor Wessing? Would be amazing to get ahead with the applications before they open.

Julian Ng

Future Trainee
    Nov 5, 2018
    Hi:) I just received a Mayer Brown Test invite. Does anyone have any advice/tips for their VRT? As I’m not the best at verbal reasoning tests.

AssessmentDay have some good practice tests! Make sure to do the ones specific to Capp, the test provider. https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/capp.htm

Something I wish I had done when I did my MB tests was do the practice on they attach in the email. Even though its not scored, its good to get an idea of the exact test format. Because the ones I linked above, while helpful, in retrospect were a bit easier than the real thing imo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.