Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
Hi! Can I ask, did you get an email to say if you’d passed the benchmark or just nothing at all since doing the test? I just did mine and it’s been my first one this cycle and I’m nervous about how I’ve done!
Hi, I didn’t get an email afterwards saying whether I’d passed the benchmark, I just got a rejection email a few weeks later. I think your app and WG score are assessed together! Good luck :)

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi, I didn’t get an email afterwards saying whether I’d passed the benchmark, I just got a rejection email a few weeks later. I think your app and WG score are assessed together! Good luck :)
I’m really sorry to hear that! There are plenty of good things coming your way I have no doubt :) thank you for confirming that for me and I think you are probably right about them reviewing in tandem!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys, me again. For anyone who’s applied to the Freshfields grad workshops etc do they have a template we should use for the personal statement? I recall there being one last year for the 850 word one but I can’t seem to find or see anything about them this year? Just wanted to check in case I’d missed something :) if not, I’m assuming we ought to just upload our word docs?

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hey guys, me again. For anyone who’s applied to the Freshfields grad workshops etc do they have a template we should use for the personal statement? I recall there being one last year for the 850 word one but I can’t seem to find or see anything about them this year? Just wanted to check in case I’d missed something :) if not, I’m assuming we ought to just upload our word docs?

Do you mean the personal statement form? On the application, on the 'Personal Statement Upload' tab there's a link to download the form we have to use :)

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
Hi! Can I ask, did you get an email to say if you’d passed the benchmark or just nothing at all since doing the test? I just did mine and it’s been my first one this cycle and I’m nervous about how I’ve done!

Was this for winter or summer? I just did mine for summer VS, so would be good to see when others hear back!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Was this for winter or summer? I just did mine for summer VS, so would be good to see when others hear back!
This was for Winter :) I suspect tthey will invite winter applicants to ACs first and maybe start making contact with those for spring and summer towrds the end of the year so I really wouldn't worry if you don't hear back for a little while. I could be wrong on this but I strongly suspect that is what most firms will do :) Wishing you the very best of luck with it!

Reactions: PSM

mlaw1234

Jul 19, 2019
Hi, with the interview question "why not consulting?" how do people formulate a really strong answer, I obviously know they're different but as I've never really considered consulting I just wanted to know if anyone has a good answer to this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, with the interview question "why not consulting?" how do people formulate a really strong answer, I obviously know they're different but as I've never really considered consulting I just wanted to know if anyone has a good answer to this?

Its a rare question to be asked... Think the only time I have asked it is when someone’s CV is only made up of consulting experiences.

like all interview questions, there is not a one size fits all approach to this. It’s going to very much depend on you:

think about it this way:

what does law give you that consulting definitely won’t
What skills are your strengths that align more to law than to consulting
what tasks does a lawyer do that a consultant doesn’t, that you’d enjoy.

Having recruited for both professions they are actually very different routes, with very different experiences.

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
This was for Winter :) I suspect tthey will invite winter applicants to ACs first and maybe start making contact with those for spring and summer towrds the end of the year so I really wouldn't worry if you don't hear back for a little while. I could be wrong on this but I strongly suspect that is what most firms will do :) Wishing you the very best of luck with it!

Yeah that makes sense. Good luck with yours!!

• 🏆

mlaw1234

Jul 19, 2019
Its a rare question to be asked... Think the only time I have asked it is when someone’s CV is only made up of consulting experiences.

like all interview questions, there is not a one size fits all approach to this. It’s going to very much depend on you:

think about it this way:

what does law give you that consulting definitely won’t
What skills are your strengths that align more to law than to consulting
what tasks does a lawyer do that a consultant doesn’t, that you’d enjoy.

Having recruited for both professions they are actually very different routes, with very different experiences.

Thank you ! :)

This may sound stupid but I am not overly familiar with what consultants do other than generally understanding they advise in regards to different business issues e.g. risk/M&A in different departments each specializing in a different type of client challenge.... would I be right or wrong in saying that their work style is quite process/formula based and maybe less creative than commercial lawyers can be in regard to challenges clients face?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you ! :)

This may sound stupid but I am not overly familiar with what consultants do other than generally understanding they advise in regards to different business issues e.g. risk/M&A in different departments each specializing in a different type of client challenge.... would I be right or wrong in saying that their work style is quite process/formula based and maybe less creative than commercial lawyers can be in regard to challenges clients face?

depends what type of consulting you do. “consulting” encompasses a wide range of activity really. Certain parts of it are far more creative than law.

for someone like yourself, the answer to the question would be as simple as it’s not a career you’ve considered on any level.

You are far more likely to get a question like “what other careers have you considered” rather than that being more focused on one career

mlaw1234

Jul 19, 2019
depends what type of consulting you do. “consulting” encompasses a wide range of activity really. Certain parts of it are far more creative than law.

for someone like yourself, the answer to the question would be as simple as it’s not a career you’ve considered on any level.

You are far more likely to get a question like “what other careers have you considered” rather than that being more focused on one career

okay great thank you!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just got a Hogan Lovells rejection. Quite sad as my app last year got me to an AC and it wasn't all to dissimilar in style (maybe that is the issue) and my WG score was 76 which is the lowest i have personally gotten but I thought that was still ok! Anyway, feel a bit upset, especially because of the lack of closure, but onwards and upwards. Wishing those of you yet to hear the very best of luck!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just got a Hogan Lovells rejection. Quite sad as my app last year got me to an AC and it wasn't all to dissimilar in style (maybe that is the issue) and my WG score was 76 which is the lowest i have personally gotten but I thought that was still ok! Anyway, feel a bit upset, especially because of the lack of closure, but onwards and upwards. Wishing those of you yet to hear the very best of luck!
    Sorry to hear Alice! Their loss! We're all right behind you and perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise with your HSF AC coming up soon? All the best moving forwards :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Sorry to hear Alice! Their loss! We're all right behind you and perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise with your HSF AC coming up soon? All the best moving forwards :)
    Thank you Dan! Trying to focus on that but the rejection has knocked me a bit; trying not to let it get me down and lessen my confidence though! It’s just the lack of closure that’s the hardest I think as I did have faith in my application. Nevermind, thank you for your kind words :) :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.