Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Just got rejected from BCLP. It's a bit disappointing, but it is super nice to have a feedback. They said I didn't know enough about the firm & didn't show a clear enough understanding of their 'DNA'.
They also added 'We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above'. Not sure if it is just a generic thing, but that's still encouraging! On to the next application, I'll try to be more specific...! :)
I am sorry to hear. They gave you feedback on the application!? That's really nice of them - do any other firms do that?

• 🤝
Reactions: Lea.E-R

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Rejected from Hogan Lovells post-WG :(

"We have carefully reviewed your application and test score. We regret to inform you that we are unable to continue with your application on this occasion. Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to provide any more specific feedback at this stage in the process."

Sounds like they pre-screen then view score and application holistically.

Sorry to hear that, when did you submit the WG?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Just got rejected from BCLP. It's a bit disappointing, but it is super nice to have a feedback. They said I didn't know enough about the firm & didn't show a clear enough understanding of their 'DNA'.
They also added 'We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above'. Not sure if it is just a generic thing, but that's still encouraging! On to the next application, I'll try to be more specific...! :)

During their Open Day they said that they are one of the few firms (or the only one) that provides feedback on your actual written application. It is not specific to each applicant or generic. They have specific categories, which come with certain suggestions, and then applicants fall into those categories.

Lea.E-R

Dec 25, 2019
During their Open Day they said that they are one of the few firms (or the only one) that provides feedback on your actual written application. It is not specific to each applicant or generic. They have specific categories, which come with certain suggestions, and then applicants fall into those categories.

Yes, Thanks for the clarification. I was just referring to the last bit of the email mentioning that my application was ‘strong’ when wondering if it was generic or not! :)

Lea.E-R

Dec 25, 2019
I am sorry to hear. They gave you feedback on the application!? That's really nice of them - do any other firms do that?

Yes, on the application! & as LawDudeForce mentioned, they might be the only ones to do so.
‘We aim to provide all students with guidance on how to improve their application. As a result, please find below feedback which we hope you will find useful.’

Last edited:

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018

I'm very sorry to hear this - heads up, your name is on someone else's TC list.

Mind asking what scheme did you apply for (VS/TC) and when?

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018

Sorry to hear. That is the same generic feedback I got last year!

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Rejection from Simmons... another rejection to add to my pile of evergrowing rejections.

If it helps, I know simmons have had a A LOT of applications this year! So a lot of people who were successful for winter scheme but they ran out of spaces, were given a spring or summer scheme. Which in a way means there were less places for grabs and it really was a first come first serve thing!

Some recruitment cycles can be way more busy than others. Rejections aren’t nice but they are part of the process, you’ll learn and be a much greater candidate later down the line!

You got this!

• 🤝
Reactions: Serah O and ComplianceChange

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I did my CMS VI in the last week of November and still haven't heard back... starting to lose hope!

Don’t lose hope! They haven’t outright rejected you.

I was invited to an AC from CMS two days after submitting the video interview which was lucky. But they are still sending out more AC invites so they haven’t filled all their academy spaces yet!

Also it’s worth constantly checking your spam folder. Best of luck, I hope you hear good news soon :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Maddie R

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
I just received an AC invite for Clyde & Co's summer vacation scheme:) If anyone has any tips for the AC, I would be very grateful!!
that's great, well done!!

I did the VS with them last year. I'm not sure if the AC would have changed this year but in 2019 we had a group assessment (think desert island scenario) and then a 45 minute interview with an associate and a member of grad rec. the interview consisted of questions about your motivation, competencies and one or two commercial awareness questions... the interview also had a mini reading task thingy in it.
Hope this is helpful!! :)

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Katie and Ayo Babatunde
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.