Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
that's great, well done!!

I did the VS with them last year. I'm not sure if the AC would have changed this year but in 2019 we had a group assessment (think desert island scenario) and then a 45 minute interview with an associate and a member of grad rec. the interview consisted of questions about your motivation, competencies and one or two commercial awareness questions... the interview also had a mini reading task thingy in it.
Hope this is helpful!! :)

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the heads up about the structure of the AC, it is definitely really helpful:)

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
Hi ! Has anyone got any tips for the Addleshaw Goddard VI ?( Manchester summer placement). First one ever for me :) Thanks !!

I did the VI last summer for the direct TC. Sorry my memory isn't great haha, but I think I was asked:

Tell me about yourself. (This question also threw me off a little because I didn't expect it)
What skills are necessary to be a successful commercial lawyer?
Why Addleshaw Goddard?
How does Addleshaw Goddard differ from its competitors? (I really messed up this question because I didn't do enough research so definitely prepare for this)

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Vany

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Maybe they’ve had more applications this year?
I'm not sure! This time last year they handed out first round interview invites - unless there just taking there time. After speaking to a couple of people at the firm I know each app is reviewed by different people from around the firm ie not just GR so could be that, also the removal of the tests could be a factor.

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    I'm not sure! This time last year they handed out first round interview invites - unless there just taking there time. After speaking to a couple of people at the firm I know each app is reviewed by different people from around the firm ie not just GR so could be that, also the removal of the tests could be a factor.
    Oh that’s interesting, I didn’t know other people reviewed each app! I did the VI over a month ago and I’m not sure if no news is good news...

STWO

Distinguished Member
    Jan 5, 2019
    I did the VI last summer for the direct TC. Sorry my memory isn't great haha, but I think I was asked:

Tell me about yourself. (This question also threw me off a little because I didn't expect it)
    Why Addleshaw Goddard?
    How does Addleshaw Goddard differ from its competitors? (I really messed up this question because I didn't do enough research so definitely prepare for this)

How did you go about answering the "what skills are necessary to be a successful commercial lawyer" ? Your answer will ultimately be time restricted to 1 minute or so, so would you explain each skill and give examples where you have demonstrated/developed those skills? I always get confused as to what approach to take.

Reactions: Vany

Vany

Premium Member
    Dec 11, 2018

Why Addleshaw Goddard?
    Thank you so much Ayo ! :)

Reactions: Ayo Babatunde

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
    Oct 18, 2019
    How did you go about answering the "what skills are necessary to be a successful commercial lawyer" ? Your answer will ultimately be time restricted to 1 minute or so, so would you explain each skill and give examples where you have demonstrated/developed those skills? I always get confused as to what approach to take.

The way I answered it was only picking a couple of skills, because as you have said, you only get a minute or so to answer each question. So I stated the skill and explained it. I didn't give my own personal examples /experiences for that particular question because I felt the question was more impersonal. If it said something like 'why do you think you have the skills to be a successful commercial lawyer', then yeah I definitely would have used my own examples. I tried to relate the skills back to what a commercial lawyer specifically does because I reckon that demonstrates an overall better understanding of the role.

Hope this helps:)

Reactions: Vany

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
    I have an interview coming up and one of the questions is:
    If you could change any law, what would you change and why?

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Just find a reg that yo think is not practical and it's not best for the society, scrutinise it and try to better it. e.g : mine would be the tax system for small bussines

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.