Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
Rejection from Mayer Brown post online tests - not too disappointed as not convinced they're the right firm for me and rejections are inevitable but hope others got better news :)
Hi Daniel, I'm sorry to hear about this. Can you please tell me when you applied and did the test please? I'm yet to hear anything back from them.. Also, what programme did you apply for?

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi guys, with the macfarlanes question (“why macfarlanes and what are your career ambitions”) is it wise to take the following approach?:

Explain why macfarlanes and then

1. State my career ambition e.g. to lead relationships with clients
2. Then Explain how Macfarlanes suits the above career ambition

I thought this because I wanted to link it back to the firm, but can this be viewed as not answering the question?

Thanks!

I personally answered 'why Macfarlanes' and then wove in my career ambitions throughout as I felt artificial in stating the ambition in it's own right and didn't have too much to say about it really - but obviously there is more than one right way to go about the question.

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
Hi, I have a telephone interview coming up but don't have strong signal in my house and don't want to do it outside or in a cafe or something as it obviously isn't silent. I have wifi calling- does anyone know if you can use wifi calling to speak to a landline? Is there a chance it wouldn't work? Am panicking...

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
If you are close to a library, you can try and book a room. Wifi calling is an option with Skype, but I believe you have to pay for a dedicated number.

Hi, I have a telephone interview coming up but don't have strong signal in my house and don't want to do it outside or in a cafe or something as it obviously isn't silent. I have wifi calling- does anyone know if you can use wifi calling to speak to a landline? Is there a chance it wouldn't work? Am panicking...

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just received the following from HSF about summer vac scheme:

Your application is still under review and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.

Received the same email but for the spring scheme. Honestly not sure what to make of it lol.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Daniel, I'm sorry to hear about this. Can you please tell me when you applied and did the test please? I'm yet to hear anything back from them.. Also, what programme did you apply for?
    I applied in November for a summer vac scheme and did the tests in early December and scored quite well in them but not to be this time around - good luck! :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I had this issue when I was on a year abroad in Argentina and couldn't speak to international numbers through my Argentinian number as it was unbelievably expensive for me. What we ended up doing was doing a call over Whatsapp via Wifi, it worked fine and that's how I communicated with the firm thereafter if I needed to! I'd ask the graduate recruitment if that's possible and I'm sure they'll be able to work it out for you :)

SG

Future Trainee
    Jan 16, 2020
    Hey everyone! I have been following this thread for a while now, but only just got around to introduce myself! It's so inspiring how positive everyone is on this forum!

To start contributing to the updates... Just received a rejection from White & Case, and after 5 mins, an email from Bakers for a VI! :) Does anyone have any advice about what sort of things they ask? Thank you!

w2719a

Star Member
    Sep 9, 2019
    I just heard back from CC, unfortunately didn’t get it because of the case study, I got a phone call. Good luck to those waiting.
    Me too! Did you have a Scottish woman as the interviewer? I had a Partner who was from the Real Estate team and asked some very unusual and difficult questions. Interested to know if anyone had the same experience or interviewer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.