Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
I think it’s important to remember as well that a lot of firm’s direct TCs don’t close until June/July. There will still be networking events running up to then and therefore plenty of opportunity to put in a great application that may lead to a TC without necessarily doing a VS!
Thanks its just sometimes I’m not entirely sure whether the success rate of direct TCs is high (with the exception of magic circle firms).

Where do you find networking events if you are a postgrad because aren’t they usually hosted at universities?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks its just sometimes I’m not entirely sure whether the success rate of direct TCs is high (with the exception of magic circle firms).

Where do you find networking events if you are a postgrad because aren’t they usually hosted at universities?

1. Yes, the percentage is lower (there’s an old photo somewhere of rough percentages - I’ll see if I can find) but there’s a reason they leave the open while others opt for VS only. You have nothing to lose if you can put in an excellent application!

2. I would check out Aspiring Solicitors for events if you are eligible, or Legal Cheek as well which are open to all.

Reactions: W

h2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 26, 2019
    Had so many rejections this season, I cannot get myself to apply to anything else prior to the 31st- had a complete lapse in motivation after a truly shoddy month [unrelated to VS/TC apps]. Is anyone else facing this?

I might just have to wait on the last few apps I am waiting to hear from an then start planning for next years milk round. And obv prepare for the interview of course.

Think of it as a learning experience. I always tell myself that I need to fall down a couple times in order to get back up stronger. There are a lot of direct TC deadlines from Feb - July so all is not lost.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ComplianceChange

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Think of it as a learning experience. I always tell myself that I need to fall down a couple times in order to get back up stronger. There are a lot of direct TC deadlines from Feb - July so all is not lost.

Thank you so much for this- You're right! Being an adult is a case of falling down multiple times but getting up again more quickly after each fall :)

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    Had so many rejections this season, I cannot get myself to apply to anything else prior to the 31st- had a complete lapse in motivation after a truly shoddy month [unrelated to VS/TC apps]. Is anyone else facing this?

I might just have to wait on the last few apps I am waiting to hear from an then start planning for next years milk round. And obv prepare for the interview of course.

I feel you! I have had so many rejections and it genuinely makes no sense for some. For one firm my uni career advisor said it’s extremely good, still did not even through to the test round. I have a list of 14 more firms I’d potentially apply to for a direct TC, only 2 of which I’m actually interested in. I have a vac scheme in March/April, so I think I’ll wait until after the scheme to do more applications, but that feels like such a dangerous gamble since most firms seem to be on a rolling basis these days. Never know what the best thing to do is, but it’s just exhausting. Keeping my fingers crossed for your interview!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: D95 and ComplianceChange
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.