Status
Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Does anyone have any advice on the following situation:

I have received some vacation schemes offers (one of them being the firm I really want to work for) but I have my final partner interview with a different firm soon, which is for a direct training contract. If I get the training contract, it is unlikely that they will give me months to choose to accept (ie, after I complete my summer vac scheme!) Not sure what to do, don't know if I'm just wasting my time with the direct TC interview if they aren't going to give me the option to wait until after summer?

@Jessica Booker has GR experience and has shared what to do in situations like this in the past :)

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018

I have received some vacation schemes offers (one of them being the firm I really want to work for) but I have my final partner interview with a different firm soon, which is for a direct training contract. If I get the training contract, it is unlikely that they will give me months to choose to accept (ie, after I complete my summer vac scheme!) Not sure what to do, don't know if I'm just wasting my time with the direct TC interview if they aren't going to give me the option to wait until after summer?
Well done first of all in getting so far. I agree @Jessica Booker is your best bet for advice. However, you haven't had the offer yet for the direct TC so it may well be worth doing the interview and then seeing what your options are. At worst you will have had final interview experience and at best you will have a nice dilemma to sort out. It's never wise to worry before the problem poses itself.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

So if they offered and wouldn’t give you an extension, you’d turn them down?

Flk10

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020

I wouldn't worry about it yet, but if you're in the position of getting the TC offer, I'd take it without a second thought. The fact you've applied for that firm shows you must at least have some interest in working there.

A vacation scheme is not guaranteed to lead to a TC- often through no fault of your own, as many firms simply have a set number of TC places to give out post-VS. You can always apply for the other firm post-qualification if you still want to work there.

gh1999

Dec 10, 2019
So if they offered and wouldn’t give you an extension, you’d turn them down?
Thank you for your advice everyone. And I'm not sure whether I want to wait to see if I was successful with the firm I have got the VS for. I really like the firm which is for the direct TC, but my favourite firm is the one I have the VS for in summer.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    guys, what do u find is the best way to prep for commercial awareness questions at interview stage?

Really depends on the particular law firm but speaking generally about the kinds of questions that could come up:
    • Prepare at least one answer to the question: "Tell me about a recent business news story that interests you and why?'. Prepare answers to expected follow-up questions for your topic.
    • Read/listen to the business news daily in the follow-up to your interview.
    • Form a basic understanding of M&A, how companies raise finance (equity v debt) and what commercial lawyers do - Christopher Stoakes's books are great starting points for this.
    • Have a think about the current opportunities and challenges facing your particular law firm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.