Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Also just been rejected from Kirkland post-AC. Pretty gutted I won't lie as I really thought they were the firm for me and felt I performed well on the AC :(. Hopefully the opportunity to get feedback will be useful!

Definitely going to use this as motivation for my interviews with Travers Smith and Gibson Dunn next week!

Hope others had better news but Friday evening rejections suck!!!

Sorry to hear Dan, I know you'll smash your interviews next week!

Jade

Aug 30, 2018
I wonder if there will be any point in applying in to firms that have TC deadlines in July and are recruiting on the rolling basis. I don't want to submit rushed applications, but I just don't have time now :/ (especially for Macfarlanes who's application form is basically a summative essay.)
Definitely. my friend got TC offers from Latham, Macs and HL last summer from direct apps, all are rolling firms.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    same, same. Definitely not applying there again, waste of time. After pressing them they told me I was rejected due to insufficient academics. Considering that’s AAA and high first for me, this is nothing short of laughable!
    Happened to me with Ashurst for their winter scheme - I assumed it got filtered out because I applied too late.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Based on what Jessica's previously said about first-stage screening, TW's website, and the lack of even a test invite suggests that I failed on academics. I've had mitigating circumstances at uni in 1st and 2nd year but my uni only classifies degrees based on 3rd and 4th years so I'm still on track for a 2:1. I had really good A Levels equivalent (definitely better than the ABB they claim to require) too. I have a feeling they didn't even read my application form and I'm sure anyone else who's done the application knows they had one of the longest forms with about 9 questions which honestly feels insulting.

did your application state your ext Circs?

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I used to be like that especially with exams. However, what I have learned is that if I do not go to bed, I am not going to remember anything (learned the hard way when I slept 3 hours before my Tort exam and literally did not remember what I wrote in the exam after I got home). I think planning is essential, but if it gets past 12 now, I close my notes and go to sleep! It is only going to stress you out and in the end, during assesment centre, it is about the knowledge, but even more about how you think/come across/communicate etc. which you can do better on good nights sleep!
    As long as you have 4/5 hours sleep, in which time, you are able to consolidate and store it to memory (while sleeping) then you are going to do much better for an exam/interview. Fact.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.