Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD

Jan 23, 2020
Hi all

Just wondering what general AC prep you guys do - for e.g. go over application answer, practice answering some questions.

Any useful practical steps you guys can share would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Hey, I know there have been a few great answers to this but thought there's no harm in sharing some of my advice too:

• I have a prep document for each firm and build on it as I progress through the stages so I start by reviewing that to refamiliarise myself with my research to date.
  • I make sure I know my application inside out.
  • I then do more in-depth research of the firm spanning its website, recent press releases, recent news, and anything else that seems relevant online. Check out The Lawyer, Legal Cheek, Legal 500, etc.
  • I find it's really important to think about the points that interest you and make sure you are able to articulate why, perhaps by linking it to experience.
  • Find out as much as you can about the structure of the day itself so you are not thrown by surprises - speaking to people who have been through the process before is invaluable, this forum is super handy for that.
  • This is basic (but it's easy to get distracted by other things), make sure you have stellar answers for 'why this firm' and 'why (commercial) law' questions, using your research to tailor these to the firm in question and making them personal to you rather than generic.
  • Think of a bank of examples from your experience for competency questions, using the firm-specific competency framework if it's available.
  • Brush up on current affairs, and the likes of M&A and restructuring/expansions if there is a written case study.
  • I have found that commercial awareness tends to be assessed in a more general way rather than 'tell us everything you know about X deal/ X news story' so I would make sure you are dedicating most time to really understanding yourself, the firm, and what you have to offer, rather than poring through the FT or The Economist.
  • That being said, I would make sure you have sound knowledge of a couple of recent deals and a couple of key clients so that you are able to answer questions along those lines should they come up.
I hope this is useful in addition to the tips you've already received and best of luck! :)

Last edited:

Laksha

Standard Member
Feb 13, 2020
One thing I would say about HSF, is to be especially wary of Graduate recruitment team members. The firm is currently in a mega drive for applicants, especially, Oxford. They watch like a hawk people who accept another glass of wine etc. They're very fickle; learn: they're not your friends.

They seem to have more input in decisions than most grad rec teams.

• ℹ️
Reactions: GM, Dheepa, jan28 and 4 others

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Just got the message below from Travers. Does this mean that they have looked at my application and its on hold as they consider other people, that they haven't looked at it yet, or do they just wait until to the end to reject people ?

Just have grown a bit skeptical, so not sure what to make of it.

"Thank you for your application to our summer vacation scheme.

By way of an update the process is ongoing and we hope to confirm the outcome of your application within the next month.

Please do contact me if you have any further queries."

Reactions: MJ90

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hey, I know there have been a few great answers to this but thought there's no harm in sharing some of my advice too:

• I have a prep document for each firm and build on it as I progress through the stages so I start by reviewing that to refamiliarise myself with my research to date.
  • I make sure I know my application inside out.
  • I then do more in-depth research of the firm spanning its website, recent press releases, recent news, and anything else that seems relevant online. Check out The Lawyer, Legal Cheek, Legal 500 etc.
  • I find it's really important to think about the points that interest you and make sure you are able to articulate why, perhaps by linking it to experience.
  • Find out as much as you can about the structure of the day itself so you are not thrown by surprises - speaking to people who have been through the process before is invaluable, this forum is super handy for that.
  • This is basic (but it's easy to get distracted by other things), make sure you have stellar answers for 'why this firm' and 'why (commercial) law' questions, using your research to tailor these to the firm in question and making them personal to you rather than generic.
  • Think of a bank of examples from your experience for competency questions, using the firm-specific competency framework if it's available.
  • Brush up on current affairs, and the likes of M&A and restructuring/expansions if there is a written case study.
  • I have found that commercial awareness tends to be assessed in a more general way rather than 'tell us everything you know about X deal/ X news story' so I would make sure you are dedicating most time to really understanding yourself, the firm, and what you have to offer, rather than pouring through the FT or The Economist.
  • That being said, I would make sure you have sound knowledge of a couple of recent deals and a couple of key clients so that you are able to answer questions along those lines should they come up.
I hope this is useful in addition to the tips you've already received and best of luck! :)

Thank you SO much for this! I love the step by step guidance - all very useful - really appreciate it :)

• 🤝
Reactions: HD

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    One thing I would say about HSF, is to be especially wary of Graduate recruitment team members. The firm is currently in a mega drive for applicants, especially, Oxford. They watch like a hawk people who accept another glass of wine etc. They're very fickle; learn: they're not your friends.

Where are you getting this info from?

Reactions: Laksha, M777, S30 and 2 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just got the message below from Travers. Does this mean that they have looked at my application and its on hold as they consider other people, that they haven't looked at it yet, or do they just wait until to the end to reject people ?

Just have grown a bit skeptical, so not sure what to make of it.

"Thank you for your application to our summer vacation scheme.

By way of an update the process is ongoing and we hope to confirm the outcome of your application within the next month.

Please do contact me if you have any further queries."

could be either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This might be an unpopular post but I don’t believe this for a second. What people perceive and that the reality is, will often be very different things.

The “I heard it from the someone on the inside” is still probably an unhealthy translation thanks to Chinese Whispers...

• 📥
    Reactions: Laksha

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Last year I got rejected from them too for their VS around this time and then randomly got an email at the end of August from them saying they were inviting me to an AC for their TC
    Wow at least a positive haha! I thought their email was quite encouraging me to apply for their TC so that’s nice to know I may still have a chance :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.