Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
You should email them, but saying this I emailed them and instead of responding back to my email they rejected me instead LOL! So your choice..
I mean based on that it is probably advisable not to email them. When did you do the tests and how long were you waiting? Also was yours for VS?

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
Just to clarify for people who applied to Hogan Lovells, the WG test is automatic. I emailed grad rec and they informed me that I passed the Watson Glaser but was unsuccessful on the basis of my application, so I think it is ok to assume that it is automatic.
If it is automatic then why would it take 3 weeks to be sent? Also, on their website it states do well at each stage and you get invited to the next round. It is therefore more reasonable to assume that they would review your application and then send tests. Then following that they probably review your app alongside your score and compare to other candidates.

If it was automatic then it would be sent straight away. Just my thought.

Jean

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 15, 2018
Just to clarify for people who applied to Hogan Lovells, the WG test is automatic. I emailed grad rec and they informed me that I passed the Watson Glaser but was unsuccessful on the basis of my application, so I think it is ok to assume that it is automatic.

I'm not too sure... I got rejected by the firm previously without getting invited to complete the WG test.

Reactions: S87

MarkLaw

Standard Member
Feb 13, 2020
If it is automatic then why would it take 3 weeks to be sent? Also, on their website it states do well at each stage and you get invited to the next round. It is therefore more reasonable to assume that they would review your application and then send tests. Then following that they probably review your app alongside your score and compare to other candidates.

If it was automatic then it would be sent straight away. Just my thought.

Honestly idk because I thought the same as you - that’s why I emailed them because I was pretty positive I didn’t fail the WG and they then said I was unsuccessful on the basis of my application (verbatim what they said).

The fact you haven’t been rejected yet is still good news though so I wouldn’t be too worried :)

Edit: They also said I had passed the Watson Glaser.

• 🤝
Reactions: Andre

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
As someone who was recently rejected post AC, and doesn't go to a top uni, this wasn't my experience of them at all. Obv there was no wine at the AC but even at the open day I didn't get that impression, I felt that they were genuinely interested and approachable. And they gave me really helpful and constructive feedback post AC. Just gutted that I can't reapply for 2 years.
One thing I would say about HSF, is to be especially wary of Graduate recruitment team members. The firm is currently in a mega drive for applicants, especially, Oxford. They watch like a hawk people who accept another glass of wine etc. They're very fickle; learn: they're not your friends.

They seem to have more input in decisions than most grad rec teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.