Herbert Smith Freehills New Vac Scheme Interview Structure

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi guys!

I understand that due to virtual AC's HSF has changed their assessment structure. Instead of a case study they now have two scenario-based interviews. One is where a partner will give you a scenario from a case they are working on and ask you questions about it. I have heard this one is quite technical and previously they have asked questions on PE and joint ventures. The other is more to do with difficulties you would face as a trainee such as how to get in touch with a client or gather evidence for a case. Since you could get practically any practice area depending on the partner - how would one prepare for this?

Anyone who has attended the HSF schemes and would be willing to share their experiences - I would be grateful! If anyone can recommend resources to learn in-depth about different practise areas as well as brush up on Joint Ventures as opposed to the typical Mna, company law, shareholder rights etc that would be great!

Last edited:
    A

Anon08

Hey - I know that this was posted some time ago; but if you would still like guidance, either on HSF, the HSF VS, or on other resources for building commercial/technical knowledge, please just say, and I'll respond!

Reactions: DTB

Aakanksha__

Jul 27, 2021
    Hi, I would be grateful if you could please respond to the original question regarding preparation for HSF's new Interview Structure.
    Hey - I know that this was posted some time ago; but if you would still like guidance, either on HSF, the HSF VS, or on other resources for building commercial/technical knowledge, please just say, and I'll respond!

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi Neville, @Neville Birdi I pushed my interview for personal reasons, so it is coming up soon! I am not sure whether it will be in person or virtual, but regardless I understand HSF's interviews are different because of the element of scenario based questions! They seem impossible to prepare other than knowing about the firm's practice areas. Additionally, I have heard their case studies are not usually the typical MnA but more so related to litigation? This is the first ever app I submitted and first AC so I am extremely nervous! I know you undertook the HSF vacation scheme and I would be so very grateful to gain guidance from you on what recourses helped you to prepare for the interview/ how I should build up my knowledge for the AC particularly the technical and scenario based aspects of it! Thank you so much for this :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.