Hill Dickinson 2020/2021

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hi everyone. I've been invited to the live interview from Hill Dickinson, and it's my first ever interview with a law firm! I was wondering if anyone has had experience with HD interviews from previous cycles and could offer any insights/advice? Just not exactly sure what to expect in terms of types of questions and who is conducting the interview (partner, grad recruitment, both?) Thanks ☺️

katie.c

Oct 7, 2020
Hi everyone. I've been invited to the live interview from Hill Dickinson, and it's my first ever interview with a law firm! I was wondering if anyone has had experience with HD interviews from previous cycles and could offer any insights/advice? Just not exactly sure what to expect in terms of types of questions and who is conducting the interview (partner, grad recruitment, both?) Thanks ☺️
Hi,

When is your VI? I was also curious as to what questions are going to come up. I think from looking at a few threads last year the questions were along the lines of:
- “what skills do lawyers need?"
- “what makes us unique?"
- "what challenges do we face in legal industry?”

I hope that helps!

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hi,

When is your VI? I was also curious as to what questions are going to come up. I think from looking at a few threads last year the questions were along the lines of:
- “what skills do lawyers need?"
- “what makes us unique?"
- "what challenges do we face in legal industry?”

I hope that helps!
Thanks so much! I found similar kinds of questions when looking through last year threads. Mine is next thursday! What about you?

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
How did it go if you don't mind me asking?
It went okay! It's not very conversational at all and it's much more structured. It was 3 questions like they said, and I didn't use the full 20 minutes either, I probably used just under 10? I honestly have no idea how i've done, but I think if you just make sure you research loads about the firm and what it means to be a lawyer then you will be fine!

Num

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2021
Had mine yesterday. Don’t think I did very well because I only used up 8 of the available 20 minutes!
Hey
It went okay! It's not very conversational at all and it's much more structured. It was 3 questions like they said, and I didn't use the full 20 minutes either, I probably used just under 10? I honestly have no idea how i've done, but I think if you just make sure you research loads about the firm and what it means to be a lawyer then you will be fine!
Hey! Glad to hear it went well, fingers crossed for you 🤞. If you don’t mine me asking what type of questions did they ask?

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hey

Hey! Glad to hear it went well, fingers crossed for you 🤞. If you don’t mine me asking what type of questions did they ask?
Thankyou! I probably shouldn't disclose the specific questions, but for me there wasn't much focus on situational/competency based questions and it was more to do with knowledge of the firm/commercial awareness. I'm not sure if this will differ by office location/sector though, as it was the associates asking me the questions. For reference, my interview was for Health in the london office :)

Reactions: kentlawboy and Num

kentlawboy

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2021
Thankyou! I probably shouldn't disclose the specific questions, but for me there wasn't much focus on situational/competency based questions and it was more to do with knowledge of the firm/commercial awareness. I'm not sure if this will differ by office location/sector though, as it was the associates asking me the questions. For reference, my interview was for Health in the london office :)
Thanks for the insight!!

katie.c

Oct 7, 2020
Had mine yesterday. Don’t think I did very well because I only used up 8 of the available 20 minutes!
Hey, thank you for the feedback and insight it is truly appreciated! I was wondering - if you don't mind - did they ask you any personal/competency based questions ?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.