Hogan Lovells Application 2020/21

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
Jun 23, 2019
So that's what I got from grad rec when I mailed them last- "The pass mark is 18 percentile which is about 30/40". Anyone knows what that means?
I heard the exact same thing but don't know what the means either. From what I've read on this thread, if you don't receive an automatic rejection email after you sat the test, it means you passed the test

Reactions: AspiringSol

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
So that's what I got from grad rec when I mailed them last- "The pass mark is 18 percentile which is about 30/40". Anyone knows what that means?
Percentiles are different from percentage. From my understanding they ‘place’ you within a pool of people (although not sure what that pool is) I am sure others will have a better understanding but you could get 50% correct but that puts you within the top of the pool (depending on the pool). I got 59th percentile which was deemed ‘average’ and then in my AC I got ‘average’ again and that was enough to pass through.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Basically it just boils down to get 30/40 percent correct to get through if thats the case. Dunno if they weight different questions more than others like some firms do, but I doubt it having done the WG for HL 4 times now.

Reactions: vacschemeapss

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Percentiles are different from percentage. From my understanding they ‘place’ you within a pool of people (although not sure what that pool is) I am sure others will have a better understanding but you could get 50% correct but that puts you within the top of the pool (depending on the pool). I got 59th percentile which was deemed ‘average’ and then in my AC I got ‘average’ again and that was enough to pass through.
    Thanks! Do they take the same test again at the AC? Had you applied for direct TC?

Aida

Sep 3, 2020
    Hi guys. Does anyone know if HL automatically invite everyone that applies to sit the WG test, or do they select candidates to invite?
    I believe it’s automatic in the sense they don’t review your application first but they manually send it out so sometimes takes a few days to come through!

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Can anyone remember how many questions are in the WG test? I note I have 30 minutes to complete the test. Also, is the test similar to the free practice tests online?

Thanks!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hey - you have to email grad rec asking for a copy, they don't automatically send it. I requested mine in the morning and received it later that day, so they are quite quick! :)
    heya, could I ask what email you sent the request to? I've gotten emails from Charlotte Maurice, would it just be okay do you think to email her directly or is there a more general grad rec email? thanks!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.