Hogan Lovells application question

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys,

I am trying to draft an answer to the following question: Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments

This is the answer I have so far:

In second year, I stepped in as interim fundraising officer for LSESU Global Brigades. As fundraising officer, my task was to raise at least £1000 in six weeks as our minimum brigade contribution. I had to balance this task with other commitments, including participation in moot-court competitions and deadlines for summative coursework. I navigated this challenge by doing three things.

First, I broke down our £1000 target into smaller goals, aiming to raise at least £400 every two weeks. To accomplish this target, I estimated potential revenues from one fundraiser, eventually determining that two weekly fundraisers could help us achieve our target. I assembled both brigades for a meeting and proposed these targets.
After receiving their approval, we collectively planned a ‘fundraising calendar’ and designated Tuesday and Thursday as our weekly fundraising days. After this, I contacted the Activities and Development officer at the Student Union, outlined our tight fundraising timeline, and convinced her to reserve a weekly stall for our society for the next six weeks. On the day of each fundraiser, I had to set up the stall with our baked goods, assist team-mates with sales and record our cash-flow. Our fundraising experienced several ‘bumps’; sales were slow, especially due to the snow in February. I proposed that we individually visit various faculty buildings and pitch our goods to academics. We were able to increase our income by around £108 due to this ‘door-to-door’ fundraising in February.

Secondly, I resolved clashes with fundraising and my other commitments by prioritising academics and communicating with my team in advance. One example of this was when I had a 4,000-word summative essay due on Friday and the semi-finals of a moot competition on Thursday evening. I told my team that I would not be able to supervise at the stall, and the business brigade leader helped me by volunteering to set-up and supervise.

Consequently, we held ten fundraisers over the course of six weeks, and raised £1042. In addition to this, we sold glow-sticks at the local club queues for five Fridays straight, eventually adding £237 more to our revenue.

I am having the following issues with my answer:

1) Am I being too descriptive? I am not sure if I have adequately answered the question enough.
2) Any bits or details that you guys think are not needed? I am running way over the word count so any tips on how to trim the waffle would be great.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

I am trying to draft an answer to the following question: Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments

This is the answer I have so far:

In second year, I stepped in as interim fundraising officer for LSESU Global Brigades. As fundraising officer, my task was to raise at least £1000 in six weeks as our minimum brigade contribution. I had to balance this task with other commitments, including participation in moot-court competitions and deadlines for summative coursework. I navigated this challenge by doing three things.

First, I broke down our £1000 target into smaller goals, aiming to raise at least £400 every two weeks. To accomplish this target, I estimated potential revenues from one fundraiser, eventually determining that two weekly fundraisers could help us achieve our target. I assembled both brigades for a meeting and proposed these targets.
    After receiving their approval, we collectively planned a ‘fundraising calendar’ and designated Tuesday and Thursday as our weekly fundraising days. After this, I contacted the Activities and Development officer at the Student Union, outlined our tight fundraising timeline, and convinced her to reserve a weekly stall for our society for the next six weeks. On the day of each fundraiser, I had to set up the stall with our baked goods, assist team-mates with sales and record our cash-flow. Our fundraising experienced several ‘bumps’; sales were slow, especially due to the snow in February. I proposed that we individually visit various faculty buildings and pitch our goods to academics. We were able to increase our income by around £108 due to this ‘door-to-door’ fundraising in February.

Secondly, I resolved clashes with fundraising and my other commitments by prioritising academics and communicating with my team in advance. One example of this was when I had a 4,000-word summative essay due on Friday and the semi-finals of a moot competition on Thursday evening. I told my team that I would not be able to supervise at the stall, and the business brigade leader helped me by volunteering to set-up and supervise.

Consequently, we held ten fundraisers over the course of six weeks, and raised £1042. In addition to this, we sold glow-sticks at the local club queues for five Fridays straight, eventually adding £237 more to our revenue.

I am having the following issues with my answer:

1) Am I being too descriptive? I am not sure if I have adequately answered the question enough.
    2) Any bits or details that you guys think are not needed? I am running way over the word count so any tips on how to trim the waffle would be great.

Apologies for missing this post, I hope you sent it out OK!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.