Hogan Lovells Interview/ Assessment Day

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
I have my Hogan Lovells Assessment Day next Tuesday and have read the previous forum threads on the structure of the day. I was specifically wondering what kind of commercial knowledges was needed for the commercial awareness interview? I read someone mention it was to do with capital markets/ Saudi Aramco?

Would appreciate any insight into this and any other out of the box questions anyone has faced in this year's cycle!

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
I have my Hogan Lovells Assessment Day next Tuesday and have read the previous forum threads on the structure of the day. I was specifically wondering what kind of commercial knowledges was needed for the commercial awareness interview? I read someone mention it was to do with capital markets/ Saudi Aramco?

Would appreciate any insight into this and any other out of the box questions anyone has faced in this year's cycle!

There isn't a commercial awareness interview. Check the email they sent you which should detail the structure of the day for you.

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
There isn't a commercial awareness interview. Check the email they sent you which should detail the structure of the day for you.
I have not received any e-mail yet. What did yours say that you believe there isn't one? I had someone from my university do it in November who had it and people on the TCLA Hogan Lovells threads mention it. Just wondering!

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
It’s not called the commercial awareness interview though so I don’t know what your talking about. I had an interview aswell and was successful in getting a TC...

you have the Watson glaser, case study and partner interview and then you have a situational judgement test.

Reactions: RB99 and W

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
It’s not called the commercial awareness interview though so I don’t know what your talking about. I had an interview aswell and was successful in getting a TC...

you have the Watson glaser, case study and partner interview and then you have a situational judgement test.
I think I am essentially referring to the content of the case study interview but I have figured it out now. But thanks for the clarification anyways!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018

How was the general AC environment? Any tips?

Reactions: JayB

RB99

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hey! It was quite relaxed and streamlined in terms of structure. Just to confirm once again - the structure is 1. WG Test 2. Situational Judgement Interview 3. Partner/Case Study Interview.

1. WG Test - Same level as the online one you did. Quite straightforward.

2. SJT - If you have done tests like HSF's SJT or checked out some of the questions from the TCLA TC questions handbook you are good to go. It is basically the same questions but you have to explain your justification orally. They will ask follow up questions to see if your response would change if the facts changed. The main requirement is for you to tie back your justifications to Hogan's work values such as teamwork, empathy and working risk free. For example - if you are taking on a new task that you are not meant to be doing, your response should include how you will balance your responsibilities, keep your supervisor informed etc. Always take a moment before you answer. Do not jump in immediately because they do not expect you to anyways.

3. Partner Interview/ Case Study - Starts with some motivation questions. Why law as a subject? Why commercial law? Why Hogan? There will be follow ups on the topics you discuss during these questions. After this you will discuss the case study (which they will give you 15 minutes to read and plan right after your WG test). My interview was quite heavily focussed on the case study while most of the other people at the AC had a motivations focussed interview. The case study is essentially about a JV agreement. So be ready to discuss due diligence points for both parties.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.