How are your personal values aligned to those of X firm, and how will this support you?

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi everyone, this was a unique question I came across when I was completing a Burges Salmon application 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone has a tip on how to answer questions like these? what structure is best to cover everything I need for this question? Please leave your thoughts below, thank you!

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi everyone, this was a unique question I came across when I was completing a Burges Salmon application 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone has a tip on how to answer questions like these? what structure is best to cover everything I need for this question? Please leave your thoughts below, thank you!

Does the firm list what its values are?

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Hey, I previously managed to successfully complete this application which had a similar sort of question. Burges Salmon lay out the qualities they like in trainees quite well on their website, I think this is key because they are very open about emphasising different qualities than City firms perhaps would. I think this is what they mostly want you to recognise from this question. I formatted it by having a paragraph on each of these values, why I personally felt that these qualities were important for a person to have, then linking it back to my own experiences where I have demonstrated them.

I recognise that this doesn't address the 'how will this support you' aspect, I imagine that may just link to why you find them important? Or maybe it is how these qualities will aid you through your career?

Also, when I was speaking to graduate recruitment there they told me that their longer questions were only to filter out applicants who couldn't write well. I think most of the people in graduate recruitment there have since changed, and I wasn't completely sure on the likelihood of this anyway, but I thought it was interesting.

• 🏆
Reactions: yanerlim and Nicole

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hey, I previously managed to successfully complete this application which had a similar sort of question. Burges Salmon lay out the qualities they like in trainees quite well on their website, I think this is key because they are very open about emphasising different qualities than City firms perhaps would. I think this is what they mostly want you to recognise from this question. I formatted it by having a paragraph on each of these values, why I personally felt that these qualities were important for a person to have, then linking it back to my own experiences where I have demonstrated them.

I recognise that this doesn't address the 'how will this support you' aspect, I imagine that may just link to why you find them important? Or maybe it is how these qualities will aid you through your career?

Also, when I was speaking to graduate recruitment there they told me that their longer questions were only to filter out applicants who couldn't write well. I think most of the people in graduate recruitment there have since changed, and I wasn't completely sure on the likelihood of this anyway, but I thought it was interesting.

Thank you! This as a question I pulled from BDO. But remembered that Burges Salmon had a similar question :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.