How can TCLA improve?

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
This is an informal thread to discuss areas where TCLA can improve😎

Do note: I am very grateful for this platform - if there was a single piece of advice I would give to an aspiring commercial lawyer, it would be to get a TCLA membership.

Reactions: Jaysen

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
My biggest issues with TCLA:
  • Price - price reductions are far more complex than I can imagine, and I am sure the team constantly address this. Regardless, spending GBP 60 for an application review is too much in my opinion (as an example). Improving this would be a game changer.
  • Design - the website has improved a lot, but there are some areas to improve. Examples: getting logged out everytime I click on the TCLA home button or having a smoother animation when you click on 'view membership plans'.
  • Overlapping course material - some TCLA courses have content that is essentially repeated on other courses. Having a system where users can automatically see that they have covered similar content elsewhere may save time.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is helpful @InvesmentBanker, I have been meaning to create this myself. I am on annual leave next week, but it would be great to chat when I am back.

Happy for anyone to share anything we could do better at here!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I know the individual application review costs can seem a lot, but I must stress, if they were cheaper, the quality of an application review just wouldn’t be there as you’d have to limit the amount of time you’d spend on each application.

Ultimately if you want an application review, it’s probably better to subscribe to Gold for a month, use your application review as part of that service whilst using the wider services available, and either cancel your subscription model immediately or set a reminder to cancel it before the month is up. You’d also get a discount if you wanted to purchase any more reviews too.

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    I know the individual application review costs can seem a lot, but I must stress, if they were cheaper, the quality of an application review just wouldn’t be there as you’d have to limit the amount of time you’d spend on each application.

Ultimately if you want an application review, it’s probably better to subscribe to Gold for a month, use your application review as part of that service whilst using the wider services available, and either cancel your subscription model immediately or set a reminder to cancel it before the month is up. You’d also get a discount if you wanted to purchase any more reviews too.
    I completely get you... that's a better solution.

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    A fun addition to forums would be to add a poll feature! Could be very engaging because often people do not like posting on forums and so being able to vote on a poll would be a better way to participate for them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A fun addition to forums would be to add a poll feature! Could be very engaging because often people do not like posting on forums and so being able to vote on a poll would be a better way to participate for them.
    You can do this with new threads rather than individual posts. You can see the functionality here on the right hand tab:

IMG_5838.jpeg

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I would love this - sadly, there is no functionality in the forum software/add ons at the moment. Please keep the suggestions coming!

• 🤝
    Reactions: InvesmentBanker

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    A feature that could improve engagement on the forum is having a drop down list which shows the thread's:
    • Top posts (based on likes/replies)
    • Most controversial posts
    • 'hottest' posts (most likes/replies in the past week)
    This suggestion is definitely not based on reddit's features

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A feature that could improve engagement on the forum is having a drop down list which shows the thread's:
    • Top posts (based on likes/replies)
    • Most controversial posts
    • 'hottest' posts (most likes/replies in the past week)
    This suggestion is definitely not based on reddit's features
    This is great. Let me see what we can do!

Reactions: InvesmentBanker

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Another suggestion : while the Law firm profiles (paid) are amazing (nothing else comes even close - no one covers the strategies of firms as well as TCLA), a small section on "competitive analysis" will be very useful. Thanks.

I appreciate this - what would you like to see on competitive analysis?

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Another suggestion : while the Law firm profiles (paid) are amazing (nothing else comes even close - no one covers the strategies of firms as well as TCLA), a small section on "competitive analysis" will be very useful. Thanks.
    I don’t have premium so not sure but do the firm profiles only cover London?

Just wondering if Middle East focused ones could be added as there are a bunch of firms with Dubai TCs and I would subscribe for that :)

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    I appreciate this - what would you like to see on competitive analysis?
    Hi, it can have : 1. Who are the key competitors in main PAs as well as overall market perception perspective , 2. How does this firm compete against the ones mentioned above , 3. London revenues and rev/lawyer of this firm vis a vis similar firms - basically financial competitiveness.

I think some of this is scattered in the current writeups, maybe it's a good idea to put them all in one section.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I don’t have premium so not sure but do the firm profiles only cover London?

Just wondering if Middle East focused ones could be added as there are a bunch of firms with Dubai TCs and I would subscribe for that :)
    Thanks for sharing @SS21 - that is correct at the moment! Which Middle East focussed profiles would you like to see?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi, it can have : 1. Who are the key competitors in main PAs as well as overall market perception perspective , 2. How does this firm compete against the ones mentioned above , 3. London revenues and rev/lawyer of this firm vis a vis similar firms - basically financial competitiveness.

I think some of this is scattered in the current writeups, maybe it's a good idea to put them all in one section.
    This is great, thank you. We tend to redo our profiles between June and August, so I will add to this to the list.

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    This may just be my computer but the TCLA logo overlaps the community link. There also appears to be two community links on the menu (not sure if that was intended). I recognise that this is probably a useless bit of feedback

1711545540820.png

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.