How do we differ from our competitors?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi All,

I have recently come across the above question during an interview, and I was wondering how do people tackle this sort of question?

I try and mention a few unique features of the firm, i.e. innovative nature, high cross border deals, international reach etc..

It would be interesting to see what others think.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I’ve only ever had this question at firms where there are clear differences in terms of their sectors, international approach or strengths. They usually say we are the best at xyz. At these firms, it seemed to be a targetting whether you had done enough research on the firm or just blindly made an application.

I agree picking a few unique features is the way to go. But are they really unique? A lot of firms do high profiles cross boarder deals.

Again the firm I had this question at, I tried to do a compare and contrast approach. To say the firm I was interviewing at was big in certain sectors. I then mentioned a competitor firm and said that though they did some work in the same sectors they don’t have an as broad pratice (litigation, tax, employment, etc) in those sectors.

Hope that helps/make sense. Typing this half awake!

Reactions: Jaysen and Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'd start with your "Why this firm?" answer, which should give you clues as to what makes the firm different. For example, if you said the firm is strong in a particular practice area or has an unconventional training system, you already know these points make the firm unique.

You can also pick different competitors for different reasons. For example, let's say you're applying to Latham. You could argue Latham is better than the likes of magic circle (let's say Freshfields) because of its established presence in the US but better than the likes of the US elite (let's say Kirkland) because it's more global and full service.

If it was Jones Day, you might focus on the non-rotational training. Shearman, its presence in the Middle East. Allen & Overy its investment in Fuse etc. etc.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.