How to answer 'why didn't you convert the VS into a TC?'

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I know some candidates who failed to covert their last vs into a tc have been asked this before. How would you go about this, especially if the feedback you got wasn't the best?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You discuss how you have worked on that feedback and try to provide evidence/proof that you have worked on the areas highlighted by the firm as to why you didn’t get a TC.

Reactions: Alice G and nisadee

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Echoing what Jessica said! Highlight tangible steps you've taken to overcome the issues the previous firm indicated. You could also include things like what you liked and didn't like about the firm and how that makes the current firm you're applying to the place you want to work at.

Reactions: nisadee

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I know some candidates who failed to covert their last vs into a tc have been asked this before. How would you go about this, especially if the feedback you got wasn't the best?
    I agree with all that has been said - was the feedback something you have been able to work on? Showing this is the crucial thing.

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    I agree with all that has been said - was the feedback something you have been able to work on? Showing this is the crucial thing.

The feedback was mainly based on one of the assessments for the vs (an in tray exercise I didn't perform as well on compared to other candidates) as the firm did not take into consideration any performance on the vs as part of the decision process for tc offers, so I'm unsure how to show I have improved on this.

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    You discuss how you have worked on that feedback and try to provide evidence/proof that you have worked on the areas highlighted by the firm as to why you didn’t get a TC.

The feedback was mainly based on one of the assessments for the vs (an in tray exercise I didn't perform as well on compared to other candidates) as the firm did not take into consideration any performance on the vs as part of the decision process for tc offers, so I'm unsure how to show I have improved on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

think about the skills an e-tray exercise would assess and then think about how you have developed those skills since.

Reactions: Alice G and nisadee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! Would I mention it was the exercise itself that let me down or just the skills when discussing this at interview?

You’d say it was the etray that let you down. But then you’d say how you have developed the skills necessary for the etray in what you have done since

Reactions: nisadee

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.