How to approach this 600 word question for Clifford Chance

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
@Daniel Boden The application deadline is on 15th December, do I have to complete the test before that date ?
Nope you have 7 days to complete the test after they send you the test link I believe but obviously the sooner you submit your application the better

Hey! Not too sure about the London TC, but for the Middle East one the deadline for the WG test is 17th Dec: "Please note, if your training contract application is received less than 7 days before the final deadline for applications, you will need to complete your Watson Glaser assessment (detailed above) by midnight GMT Monday 17 December 2018".

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Has anyone noticed there seems to be an option to edit your whole CC app after submission. Anyone else seeing the same ??
    Yep Freshfields and other firms that use the same application software have the same thing. You are able to edit your application right up until the deadline which is very helpful if you spot a spelling or grammar error!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    On that point @AJ @Daniel Boden, am I still able to edit up until the deadline, despite completing the WGT?

Yes. Which is what I’m considering to do...

Yes you are Salma! And AJ I've edited it a few times since submitting it, mainly adding/removing additional documents due to conflicting advice I was receiving from different people - I doubt that is going to cause any issues since they won't know as they look at it after the deadline!

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Yes you are Salma! And AJ I've edited it a few times since submitting it, mainly adding/removing additional documents due to conflicting advice I was receiving from different people - I doubt that is going to cause any issues since they won't know as they look at it after the deadline!

Thanks guys!

Another question (lol), when you complete the WGT, do you get an automatic email saying ‘thank you for completing the WGT, we will contact you in due course if you have passed the test blah blah’ or, instead, an email confirming, simply, whether you have passed or not?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks guys!

Another question (lol), when you complete the WGT, do you get an automatic email saying ‘thank you for completing the WGT, we will contact you in due course if you have passed the test blah blah’ or, instead, an email confirming, simply, whether you have passed or not?
    From what I remember they just email you saying 'Thank you for completing the WGT... I am delighted/sorry to say that you have been successful/not been successful in passing the test'.

Reactions: AJ

Lully

Standard Member
    Oct 3, 2019
    Hello.

Clifford Chance have kept the same application questions from last year.

I was successful on the application & AC.

The approach I took is as follows:

1) first and foremost make sure there are ZERO typos or errors.

2) question one asks for scholarships, prizes etc: I talked about my academic achievements as well as some scholarships I’ve received. Do not simply list achievements. State the award/scholarship you was awarded and when.
    This is your opportunity to sell yourself. So for e.g, if I was the highest scoring student, I would mention the number of students I scored higher than etc.
    Conclude by stating how these awards & scholarships align with CC’s high achieving nature, perhaps give a stat (research the firm).

3) question 2, simply answer the question. Talk about your extra-curriculas (try and give a wide viarity, volunteering, positions of responsibility etc).
    Finally I used around 250 words to explain my proudest achievement. Here, I used the STAR method and gave an example of my drive & resilience (traits that CC look for in their trainees, as per the firms 2017 brochure) which led to my achievement.

Ultimately, make sure you practice the Watson glaser test because they will NOT consider your app if you fail the test. Leave ample time to practice. If you pass the test and your app is strong, the turnaround time is about 2weeks. I.e from application to AC.

Good luck.
    Hey, thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful. However, I noticed that the question asks us about our extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and achievements, but at the beginning, it says "You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you." You mentioned in your answer that you included/or would have included your academic achievements i.e. awards, highest scoring student etc., which is also what I would have done. However, I am unsure whether the beginning of the question actually hints in the opposite direction, which is that we should not include our academic awards or anything related to our academics?

What would you say? @Jaysen

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey, thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful. However, I noticed that the question asks us about our extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and achievements, but at the beginning, it says "You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you." You mentioned in your answer that you included/or would have included your academic achievements i.e. awards, highest scoring student etc., which is also what I would have done. However, I am unsure whether the beginning of the question actually hints in the opposite direction, which is that we should not include our academic awards or anything related to our academics?

What would you say? @Jaysen

In previous years, they had a question asking specifically about academic achievements, which is what Sandrou is referring to when he talks about mentioning academic achievement.

I agree that they are saying not to talk about your academic achievements here. When I went to the CC open day last week, they said this question is all about getting to know you and that you should talk about the best examples that will demonstrate your personality and who you are.

Reactions: Abstruser and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    In previous years, they had a question asking specifically about academic achievements, which is what Sandrou is referring to when he talks about mentioning academic achievement.

I agree that they are saying not to talk about your academic achievements here. When I went to the CC open day last week, they said this question is all about getting to know you and that you should talk about the best examples that will demonstrate your personality and who you are.

Agreed, I'd generally leave out academic achievements for this one. The only exception I can see is if it tied in with your proudest achievement.

Mohammed

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Hi guys! For the work experience section, would it be better to write in a STAR format or give details of what you did essentially? I was considering doing a mix as there is some stuff you can write in STAR, but others that you just need to highlight if that makes sense?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.