How to find the competitors of the law firms?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for your well reasoned response, I really appreciate it. How do I go about finding competitors for service delivery and international reach? I am thinking of an overall structure of finding two competitors each in SH three strongest practice areas i.e asset finance, commercial litigation and shipping and differentiating SH from the identified competitors using depth of expertise, international reach and service delivery. Can you please share your thoughts on this? Alternatively, can you please recommend a more suitable structure for me? The question is "identify three ways Stephenson Harwood differentiates itself from its competitors". Thank you.
I've had a couple of applications and interviews which have asked similar questions. While I did mention/compare competitors - I approached that as identifying the firm's competitors, rather than competitors in individual practice areas - I focused more on what the firm itself does well (e.g. USPs, service delivery/connected services, strategy).

Reactions: Daniel Boden

theophila

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2018
Sorry I'm not sure I fully understand your question?
Hi Daniel sorry for the confusion. What I meant is can I adapt a structure of identifying and using two competitors each in SH three strongest practice areas i.e firm A and B for asset finance, firm C and D for commercial litigation and firm E and F for shipping and differentiating SH from firm A & B using depth of expertise, international reach and service delivery. The same structure of differentiating using depth of expertise, international reach and service delivery will be used for firm C & D and firm E & F. Please let me know if you would like me to clarify further.

theophila

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2018
I've had a couple of applications and interviews which have asked similar questions. While I did mention/compare competitors - I approached that as identifying the firm's competitors, rather than competitors in individual practice areas - I focused more on what the firm itself does well (e.g. USPs, service delivery/connected services, strategy).
Hello Andrew,

Many thanks for your contribution. I find great reasoning with your suggested approach but I have struggled with identifying Stephenson Harwood's competitors. I found some websites like zoominfo.com that made mention of Hill Dickinson, Fredrickson & Byron, Herbert Smith Freehills, Osborne Clarke, Shutts and so as the firm's competitors but I am unsure as to the accuracy of such information. If I may ask, do you know any of Stephenson Harwood's competitors? If you do it would really help me focus on researching what makes them different using your suggested headings i.e SH's unique selling points.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hello Andrew,

Many thanks for your contribution. I find great reasoning with your suggested approach but I have struggled with identifying Stephenson Harwood's competitors. I found some websites like zoominfo.com that made mention of Hill Dickinson, Fredrickson & Byron, Herbert Smith Freehills, Osborne Clarke, Shutts and so as the firm's competitors but I am unsure as to the accuracy of such information. If I may ask, do you know any of Stephenson Harwood's competitors? If you do it would really help me focus on researching what makes them different using your suggested headings i.e SH's unique selling points.
I'm not overly familiar with the firm because I haven't looked at applying to London offices. But this is how I would suggest approaching identifying the firm's main competitors:
- use platforms like Chambers UK and Legal500 to firms which are similarly regarded in practice areas, sectors and clients
- try to look for patterns (e.g. firms which crop up again and again)
- research the identified firms, and consider what they offer (firm size, locations, resources, services) in comparison to SH

theophila

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2018
I'm not overly familiar with the firm because I haven't looked at applying to London offices. But this is how I would suggest approaching identifying the firm's main competitors:
- use platforms like Chambers UK and Legal500 to firms which are similarly regarded in practice areas, sectors and clients
- try to look for patterns (e.g. firms which crop up again and again)
- research the identified firms, and consider what they offer (firm size, locations, resources, services) in comparison to SH
Hi Andrew, thank you so much for this. I will run along now to start my research. Enjoy the rest of your day.

• 🤝
Reactions: Andrew M and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.