mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has considered in-house training contracts? I'm at the beginning stages of researching them. However, so far there seems to be little to none advertisements of them. I can confirm that Deloitte launched theirs last year; BT seems to have a recurring one; the Government Legal Department as well as the BBC.

I thought starting a thread like this will help others add to the list so that those of us who are interested in this route can have something at hand.

Lets grow this thread :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The SQE will transform opportunities in-house. It will allow many more organisations offer qualifying work experience than under the current system.

Depending on when you are looking to start, taking the SQE route might be worthwhile waiting for in you do want in-house experience.

Reactions: AvniD, OB and mserwaah1

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
The SQE will transform opportunities in-house. It will allow many more organisations offer qualifying work experience than under the current system.

Depending on when you are looking to start, taking the SQE route might be worthwhile waiting for in you do want in-house experience.

Thank you Jessica. I agree. I just it’ll be beneficial to start a thread for those looking to apply in the next application cycle as in-house opportunities are currently very hard to come across.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
NBCUniversal do in house training contracts but you have to have worked there already (generally as a paralegal) for a while first!

I think in general, in house TCs don't sponsor the LPC, but this will obviously all change as the SQE comes in.

• ℹ️
Reactions: mserwaah1 and Lauren2

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I have been an in-house paralegal for about two years and from my experience, many companies do not advertise in-house TCs but instead would offer them to their paralegals/legal assistants OR if they do advertise for it, a completed LPC is a condition.

Also, as mentioned above, it is very rare that in-house trainees would get their LPC sponsored, even the likes of BBC do not provide funding for their trainees.

That being said, it looks like many of us existing in-house paralegal are looking into qualifying with SQE if we don't secure the TC somewhere else in the meantime (that's actually my plan as well).

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
I have been an in-house paralegal for about two years and from my experience, many companies do not advertise in-house TCs but instead would offer them to their paralegals/legal assistants OR if they do advertise for it, a completed LPC is a condition.

Also, as mentioned above, it is very rare that in-house trainees would get their LPC sponsored, even the likes of BBC do not provide funding for their trainees.

That being said, it looks like many of us existing in-house paralegal are looking into qualifying with SQE if we don't secure the TC somewhere else in the meantime (that's actually my plan as well).

This is very true. As mentioned above, the SQE will change the landscape a bit for those of us interested in in-house. That said, Deloitte offers funding for the GDL I believe, if you haven’t started prior to obtaining their TC.

Reactions: c1070

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Deloitte isn’t really an in-house training contract as I understand it (technically) - as it is providing legal services for clients. Interestingly, that is a SQE route only going by their website.

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
Deloitte isn’t really an in-house training contract as I understand it (technically) - as it is providing legal services for clients. Interestingly, that is a SQE route only going by their website.

Yes you’re right. The programme is through the SQE route. They did label it as a “training contract” on their website some months back. Could you please explain the difference between a training contract and a programme providing legal services to their clients?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes you’re right. The programme is through the SQE route. They did label it as a “training contract” on their website some months back. Could you please explain the difference between a training contract and a programme providing legal services to their clients?

Sorry there’s a bit of confusion here. In-house training contracts mean you are only really doing legal work for the business you are employed by. With Deloitte, you would be working for clients who are paying for your legal services. So the comment was not “training contract” but on the “in-house” part.

Reactions: OB and mserwaah1

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
Sorry there’s a bit of confusion here. In-house training contracts mean you are only really doing legal work for the business you are employed by. With Deloitte, you would be working for clients who are paying for your legal services. So the comment was not “training contract” but on the “in-house” part.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood your initial statement. Thanks for clarifying!

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
This thread is really helpful! I’m always struggling to find an in house TC! I think I want to apply but I haven’t done my research!

Anyone know more about the transition from Practice to industry? Is there actually a good work life balance?

Abdirf01

Nov 21, 2022
Posting just incase of interest:

in-house training contract at an enterprise blockchain company (R3):

Check out this job at R3:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3318506978
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has considered in-house training contracts? I'm at the beginning stages of researching them. However, so far there seems to be little to none advertisements of them. I can confirm that Deloitte launched theirs last year; BT seems to have a recurring one; the Government Legal Department as well as the BBC.

I thought starting a thread like this will help others add to the list so that those of us who are interested in this route can have something at hand.

Lets grow this thread :)
I was just offered one such training contract with an events and commerce company looking to grow their in house department, so yes opportunities are definitely out there.

Some background - I complete my degree in Law in 2019 and started working as an in house legal Officer in the company’s litigation department (consumer dispute resolution) and was at said company for 3 years, which was perhaps a year too long.

I love the in house environment which contrasts starkly to my experience of a summer vacation scheme with Osbourne Clarke. I hope that when I start in December and then undertake the SQE alongside work in January, I’ll be able to blog my experiences in depth.

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I was just offered one such training contract with an events and commerce company looking to grow their in house department, so yes opportunities are definitely out there.

Some background - I complete my degree in Law in 2019 and started working as an in house legal Officer in the company’s litigation department (consumer dispute resolution) and was at said company for 3 years, which was perhaps a year too long.

I love the in house environment which contrasts starkly to my experience of a summer vacation scheme with Osbourne Clarke. I hope that when I start in December and then undertake the SQE alongside work in January, I’ll be able to blog my experiences in depth.
@Abdirf01 congratulations on being offered a TC! I'm so curious about your in-house experience- what stood out to you the most? And how was it different from your experience with law firms?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.