In need for video interview advice!

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if everyone is familiar with video interview as this is a relatively new method of recruitment. So I will give a brief explanation of what it invovles before proceeding to expressing my concerns.

Whenever I speak to someone about video interview, most people mistake it for Skype interview where you speak to recruiter through video call. The type of video interview I'm talking about is the self-recording one. You'll be signing into a web portal with brief introduction about the firm and the interview you're going to take. The interview question will pop up on the screen and you'll be given a few minutes to prepare your answer (in my experience this may range from 30 seconds to 2 minutes). As soon as your preparation time runs out (there is a time bar that you'll have to keep an eye on), the camera will start rolling and you'll have to record your answer. There is a limitted recording time so you have to take notice of the time bar and make sure you wrap up your answer before it runs out. Average time I had been given to record answers was from 1 - 2 minutes). Most video interview I'd done do not give you a second retake, you have one shot to give the best recording of yourself answering the interview questions!

For myself, I'm not a fan of video interview. I'm very uncomfortable with looking at and speaking to myself in the camera. I often got distracted from answering the question as I had to keep eyes out on the time bar. I also started to freak out when time was about to run out when I was no where close to finishing my answers (2 minutes is very short time allowance in my opinion). I also had problem with making eye contacts with the recruiter (the tip is you have to look straight into the camera instead of your own recorded image). But I found it quite difficult to remain engaging while having to check the remaining time, and on top of that, trying to pull off a great interview asnwer!

But as more and more firm are adopting this method of interview to screen candidates to invite to AC, I know this is something I cannot avoid and I must get better. I've done 2 video interviews with Eversheds Sutherland (my other video interview experiences that I accumulate to write this thread were with consultancy firms), one for vac scheme and one for TC, and I failed both times. I would really really appreciate any tip, advice or sharing of expereinces on how to nail this sort of interview.

Thanks so much guys! Looking forward to your responses!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Yminh,

We are quite familiar with law firm video interviews (and we also dislike them!)

I have given a few mock video interviews in the past, including for Eversheds. As time has gone by I know some law firms have increased the difficulty of their video interview questions. (Again, I was surprised when I discovered the difficulty of the Eversheds questions.)

Some comments I have shared before, some of which you already covered:

Probably a good idea to keep all the video interview tips in one place for future students. Here is Jaysen's tips in a past thread, anyone else please feel free to add!
    • Check the set-up beforehand. Make sure you're in a well-lit room with a clear background. Test your mic and your webcam.
    • Dress appropriately - not necessarily super formal but I wouldn't go for shorts and a t-shirt.
    • Practice projecting your voice. Speak loudly and clearly. Make sure it can be heard clearly on the other end.
    • Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (this can take a bit of practice!). On this, it helps to put the webcam at eye-level.
    • Treat it like you would a normal interview. Usually, the questions won't be too difficult but practice the typical - why commercial law, why this firm, a few competencies and a commercial question.
    • So practice answers to these questions and practice speaking them aloud, ideally to someone else on Skype to test how you sound.
    • If you stumble during the video interview, don't worry, recruiters know you'll be nervous. Pause, take a deep breath and re-start.
    • Likewise, if you mess up on the first question, don't worry, just recompose yourself for the rest. These things happen.
    • There's usually a time limit, so try to keep to 2-3 answers per question. Practice timing yourself - answering those questions in 60/90 seconds.
    • Keep your answers to the point. Unlike a face to face interview, the partners don't have the opportunity to interrogate you further, so your answers should stand on their own.
    • If it's the same structure, you should have time between the questions to write down notes. So keep a pen and paper with you. Keep your notes brief.
    • Practice, practice, practice.

To be honest, the biggest one is to just practice. Practice having to respond to on-the-spot questions like: "Why do you want to be a trainee at [XYZ] firm?" or: "Describe a time you had to work under pressure." You don't need perfect answers but you do need to get used to being asked difficult questions. Then pausing, thinking and articulated a short, convincing answer.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Asmee DC and Salma

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hey Yminh,

We are quite familiar with law firm video interviews (and we also dislike them!)

I have given a few mock video interviews in the past, including for Eversheds. As time has gone by I know some law firms have increased the difficulty of their video interview questions. (Again, I was surprised when I discovered the difficulty of the Eversheds questions.)

To be honest, the biggest one is to just practice. Practice having to respond to on-the-spot questions like: "Why do you want to be a trainee at [XYZ] firm?" or: "Describe a time you had to work under pressure." You don't need perfect answers but you do need to get used to being asked difficult questions. Then pausing, thinking and articulated a short, convincing answer.
    Hey Yminh,

I agree with Jaysen's advice 100%! I know Rosie at ApplyShineWin made a fab youtube video that you can use to practice. See it here: https://applyshinewin.com/2017/12/27/practical-help-for-video-interviews/

Best of luck with preparing Yminh!

Yminh

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey Yminh,

Thanks so much Jayson! My bad I haven't screened the threads thoroughly enough to spot that this has already been discussed! More practices it is!

Ollie

Standard Member
    Nov 29, 2018
    Having done a few video interviews and having had good success at that stage (although not after), I thought I would share a few tips that might be of help. I think the key thing to remember is that there is a reason the firm has chosen to do a video interview. Any question asked during that interview could have been asked in the application, and the firm would have received a much stronger and thoughtful answer. What I'm getting at, is that realistically they are not too interested in what you answer, but rather how you answer.

Speak slowly, smile and look directly at the camera. Prepare for likely questions (why law, why firm, describe a time..), and use the time they give you to read over your notes to clear your head and compose yourself, but DO NOT read from them once the camera is rolling. In relation to this, the chances are that you will be asked questions you have not prepared for, and questions that you are thrown by. This is precisely the idea, to completely throw you then record as you either 'sink or swim'. Whatever the question is, relevant examples are key. You are much more likely to come across composed and fluid if you are talking about something you actually did/experienced, rather than listing points or thinking as you go. Some firms may give you the chance to record anything else at the end (I know of at least two firms that do this) - don't neglect this; in the relief to get the VI over with, its easy to bypass this bit, but saying a quick thank you for considering your application, and that you look forward to hearing from them, can go a LONG way. Similarly, if you manage to be calm enough by the end of the last question to add in a 'thank you', then fair play to you (I never have been!). The 'applyshinewin' resource posted above is really useful, even for just gathering examples of questions. However, as many times as you practice (which I can't overstress the importance of), I would ALWAYS recommend doing the practice question the firm (usually) gives in the actual interview. However much you have practiced with Youtube etc., the feeling when actually in the moment, with your business attire on, is definitely different. Use that practice to compose yourself and test small things like lighting and sound. The last thing you want is the recruiter automatically taking a dislike to your video because of poor lighting/background noise/too quiet.

A minute sounds ages to talk with no interruptions, but it's really not. If you have genuine reasons to want to join a firm, you will never get them all across in a minute. Prioritise them, and definitely do not list. If a reason is 'international presence', make sure you have the numbers to hand, rather than saying 'loads of offices everywhere' etc.

Final thing, if there's a chance to say something slightly 'humorous', then go for it. This is dodgy territory, and I am by no means advocating joking through your interview, but it can show the recruiter watching your video that you are relaxed and able to think clearly and coherently enough to even add in extras. To give an example, I know of someone that was asked about teamwork in a VI, and threw in something along the lines of 'a maverick approach will not best suit the needs of the client; this isnt Suits' (I can't remember the precise wording). It was something the recruiters actually highlighted as something they remembered and liked. Remember, this is potentially how you interact with a client, so they want relaxed and coherent.

Hope this helps anyone, and good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.