Interest in a commercial issue but no hard evidence to support it

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
Hey everyone, I've recently gained an interest in climate change and renewable energy because I have been reading up on this online. I haven't done anything substantial (like internships and whatnot) and I don't really know how to explain why this interests me, other than "it is an interesting topic", and people should be interested in climate change. I have a decent amount of knowledge about general sustainable finance and I use this in my commercial awareness questions in application forms.

Do I need something to back up my interest or is it fine to simply say that I have an interest because I am interested in decarbonisation and to reduce global warming? If so, does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to build this up tangibly?

Happy to hear all thoughts! :)

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
I think doing substantial research about it online already counts as evidence since you are demonstrating interest. Here are some things I would recommend that you do to strengthen the way you can talk about this in applications.
  • I would recommend that you complete Clifford Chance's Climate Change Global Virtual Internship on Forage (formerly InsideSherpa), which is only comprised of a 3 tasks, so you it shouldn't require more than a handful focused hours to complete. That way you are also able to demonstrate that you know what legal work in this are would entail.
  • Network with people via events or through using your network/cold messaging. You could talk to lawyers or practitioners in the field and keep up with developments happening and understanding how they influence the commercial work. Writing about this will then show that you have taken the initiative to go beyond just reading about this issue online.
  • See if you can take up any extracurriculars or volunteer-work in this area that could support your interest and show how you are trying to make a difference. Taking up coursework, whether in school or online, might also be helpful.
I hope this helps!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Also take a look at The Chancery Lane Project - you could get some volunteering experience either through assisting with drafting climate change precedents or taking part in hackathons. You can then align that experience with why commercial law.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.