International Students from a Non-RG University

amanda99

Oct 20, 2022
Hi everyone,

So I am an international student who studied at a Non- RG university (got a mid 2.1) and now doing my LLM at a top RG university. I am currently losing all hope in getting a TC as all the firms that sponsor visa tends to only hire Russel Group graduates. I have decent a-levels (A*, A*, A- when to a Non- RG due to financial reasons). I have close to two years of legal experience working back in my home country, it was an outsourcing firm, therefore I did work for UK law firms. Is there any hope of me getting a TC and is there any international students who didn't go RG that got a TC? Is there any other career paths a law student can go for and with firms that sponsor visa?

Would appreciate any help.

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi everyone,

So I am an international student who studied at a Non- RG university (got a mid 2.1) and now doing my LLM at a top RG university. I am currently losing all hope in getting a TC as all the firms that sponsor visa tends to only hire Russel Group graduates. I have decent a-levels (A*, A*, A- when to a Non- RG due to financial reasons). I have close to two years of legal experience working back in my home country, it was an outsourcing firm, therefore I did work for UK law firms. Is there any hope of me getting a TC and is there any international students who didn't go RG that got a TC? Is there any other career paths a law student can go for and with firms that sponsor visa?

Would appreciate any help.
    Hi there!

First of all, do not lose hope! I have the same exact background as you (international student, undergraduate at non-RG, LLM at RG) and managed to secure a TC at an international firm this year, but in my journey I have had those same thoughts as well: that I wasn't good enough and that I would never get a TC because I am an international student, etc.

Now, I don't know what stage in the application process you have reached, but don't be defeated by rejections. There's a myriad of reasons for why you are rejected, and some of those reasons may have nothing to do with the quality of your application or you as a candidate! You may write the perfect application and still be rejected. For example, it might be late in the day when your application was read, and the graduate recruitment is tired and may not have put in the same level of thought as earlier applications. Equally, you could write the worse application you think you have ever written and make it pass. Or perhaps during a vacation scheme, you are a great candidate in every aspect but you did not fit with the firm culturally, which is okay! My point is that you don't know why you got rejected, so there's no point in getting hung up.

What is far more important is to have perseverance and make micro-adjustments to your application/interview/work etc by asking those around you to help you improve. Based on what you've said about yourself, I personally think you're a good candidate, especially since you have legal work experience which can help you standout and gives you something unique to talk about (though it's more about how you talk about what you have done, rather than what you have done). I do think the success of any application will have an element of luck to it, but if you just keep applying, keep expanding/enhancing your skills, and keep making micro-adjustments, you will get through to a TC! There are people on TCLA who managed to secure a TC after trying six cycles, some got it on their first, some on their second, some on their fourth. Everyone runs on their own time, and your time will come so long as you don't give up! As a friend of mine once put it to me when I first got rejected: you have to continue to believe that you yourself are a good candidate, because if you don't, why would anybody else?

On your point about visa sponsorship, it is not true that firms which provide sponsorship visa only hire from RG. Basically, any international law firm operating in London can and will sponsor international candidates. Could an argument be made that it is more difficult to secure a TC due to firms having to sponsor us? Perhaps, though unlikely because as an associate from an MC firm who also came from an international background put it to me: visa sponsorship is the last thing firms which can sponsor students think about when deciding whether to hire you or not. After all, why would a firm bother going through the tedious process of obtaining a license to sponsor people if they don't intend on using it?

I don't know how many firms you apply to but there are plenty of international law firms in London, and it might be worthwhile to consider expanding your list of firms if it is narrow. After all, the more firms you apply to with quality applications, the more likely your chances of success. Who knows? Maybe the firm you end up doing a vacation scheme with, while it wasn't your first choice at the time, ends up becoming a firm you love.

As for your point on alternative career paths, you can also consider training in-house (i.e., within a company). Solicitor apprenticeship might be another option, though the solicitor graduate apprenticeship route might be more suitable. Or you could get a paralegal job at a firm for two or more years, pass the SQE, and ask the firm if they would consider taking you on as NQ. I do have to say that I don't know much about any of these options, and I don't know anyone that has tried the last option, so it might not even work.

My advice is to focus on securing a TC as I would guess these alternate paths are more difficult for an international candidate to embark on than just securing a TC. Although, to be fair, an international company would likely to provide visa sponsorship for training. However, I imagine it'd be pretty difficult in the other options.

I hope this helped!

amanda99

Oct 20, 2022
    Hi there!

First of all, do not lose hope! I have the same exact background as you (international student, undergraduate at non-RG, LLM at RG) and managed to secure a TC at an international firm this year, but in my journey I have had those same thoughts as well: that I wasn't good enough and that I would never get a TC because I am an international student, etc.

Now, I don't know what stage in the application process you have reached, but don't be defeated by rejections. There's a myriad of reasons for why you are rejected, and some of those reasons may have nothing to do with the quality of your application or you as a candidate! You may write the perfect application and still be rejected. For example, it might be late in the day when your application was read, and the graduate recruitment is tired and may not have put in the same level of thought as earlier applications. Equally, you could write the worse application you think you have ever written and make it pass. Or perhaps during a vacation scheme, you are a great candidate in every aspect but you did not fit with the firm culturally, which is okay! My point is that you don't know why you got rejected, so there's no point in getting hung up.

What is far more important is to have perseverance and make micro-adjustments to your application/interview/work etc by asking those around you to help you improve. Based on what you've said about yourself, I personally think you're a good candidate, especially since you have legal work experience which can help you standout and gives you something unique to talk about (though it's more about how you talk about what you have done, rather than what you have done). I do think the success of any application will have an element of luck to it, but if you just keep applying, keep expanding/enhancing your skills, and keep making micro-adjustments, you will get through to a TC! There are people on TCLA who managed to secure a TC after trying six cycles, some got it on their first, some on their second, some on their fourth. Everyone runs on their own time, and your time will come so long as you don't give up! As a friend of mine once put it to me when I first got rejected: you have to continue to believe that you yourself are a good candidate, because if you don't, why would anybody else?

On your point about visa sponsorship, it is not true that firms which provide sponsorship visa only hire from RG. Basically, any international law firm operating in London can and will sponsor international candidates. Could an argument be made that it is more difficult to secure a TC due to firms having to sponsor us? Perhaps, though unlikely because as an associate from an MC firm who also came from an international background put it to me: visa sponsorship is the last thing firms which can sponsor students think about when deciding whether to hire you or not. After all, why would a firm bother going through the tedious process of obtaining a license to sponsor people if they don't intend on using it?

I don't know how many firms you apply to but there are plenty of international law firms in London, and it might be worthwhile to consider expanding your list of firms if it is narrow. After all, the more firms you apply to with quality applications, the more likely your chances of success. Who knows? Maybe the firm you end up doing a vacation scheme with, while it wasn't your first choice at the time, ends up becoming a firm you love.

As for your point on alternative career paths, you can also consider training in-house (i.e., within a company). Solicitor apprenticeship might be another option, though the solicitor graduate apprenticeship route might be more suitable. Or you could get a paralegal job at a firm for two or more years, pass the SQE, and ask the firm if they would consider taking you on as NQ. I do have to say that I don't know much about any of these options, and I don't know anyone that has tried the last option, so it might not even work.

My advice is to focus on securing a TC as I would guess these alternate paths are more difficult for an international candidate to embark on than just securing a TC. Although, to be fair, an international company would likely to provide visa sponsorship for training. However, I imagine it'd be pretty difficult in the other options.

I hope this helped!
    Thank you so much. It truly gave me some reassurance. I have made a list of firms that sponsor and there are about 32 right now. It's just whenever I go on LinkedIn and check all the trainee solicitors working in the said firms, they all seem to be from RG universities which makes me feel like I have no chance.

If you don't mind me asking, as an international student who got a TC, do you have any tips that helped you stand out?

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Thank you so much. It truly gave me some reassurance. I have made a list of firms that sponsor and there are about 32 right now. It's just whenever I go on LinkedIn and check all the trainee solicitors working in the said firms, they all seem to be from RG universities which makes me feel like I have no chance.

If you don't mind me asking, as an international student who got a TC, do you have any tips that helped you stand out?
    No problem! I understand how you feel as I felt that way too but you have to remember that (a) not everyone has a LinkedIn profile, (b) not everyone who gets a TC will post about it, and (c) just because a firm used to recruit more from RG doesn't mean that they still do. In my opinion, LinkedIn, while a great tool for networking, is a terrible way to measure a firm's recruitment pool. I believe you've got what it takes so just keep pushing and don't give up! You only need one 'yes' and if you are right for the firm, the firm will choose you.

As for tips to stand-out, I would attend insight/open days and ask specific questions after having researched the firm. Generic questions like what is the culture like doesn't help your application (in my opinion) because I bet most times you will get a generic answer from the responder. What good is a generic answer when the aim is to have an application that stands out? You want answers that help you elevate a point on why you want to work for that particular firm.

I would also suggest you do a range of activities which can be internships (which can be non-legal), completing online courses, running societies, joining your university's pro bono practice, etc. The more you do, the more experiences you have to draw upon in your applications. Now, that being said, you don't want to do stuff just for the sake of doing stuff. Do stuff for a reason (to increase your knowledge, build teamwork, give back to your community, or whatever it is) because it will show that you are methodical, driven and efficient person. If part of your reason for wanting to go to a particular firm is for their expertise in a practice area that you are interested in, do stuff that enable you to develop your knowledge in that area so you can talk about your experience in your application. It bolsters the genuineness and believability of your interest in that particular area.

Another tip is to practice, practice and practice at every stage. If you're writing applications, research and practice drafting. Recruiters, beyond seeing whether you have a genuine motivation for law and for the firm, are also looking at your writing skills and your attention to detail. Namely, can you write clearer and concisely? The only way you know is by asking your peers to read your applications and poke holes in it – tell them to be brutal in their review. Also ask yourself: 'is there a better way I can structure this sentence to be more clear?' and 'is what I have written here really answering why I am interested in commercial law/the firm?'. If you're doing interviews, search through TCLA forums to see if there's a list of questions that candidates have previously been asked. The STAR method is key in interviews. Prepare a word document with your answers to those questions and have your peers review it – and, as you can guess, practice!

If at the end of the day, you don't get into one firm, don't get hung up. Consider it a practice round to improve on the next one.

One final note, I wholeheartedly recommend TCLA's application review service if you are able to shell out the money for it. The gold membership service has a pretty good package where you can review past successful applications to help you improve yours. I believe there is also a firm profile page where you can read the research done by the TCLA team regarding various firms, as well as an interview practice service. Full disclosure, I'm not sponsored by TCLA nor affiliated with them in any way beyond having this account. I only suggested the gold membership, because I previously used it myself, as have many of my friends. My endorsement comes from my genuine personal experience with the services, and I do understand it can be pricey for some, but if you can afford it, I genuinely recommend getting it for a month and see if you like it.

You got this! :D

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.