Introduction of a new law

Emilia Hdsn.

• Aug 3, 2021
    Hi ,

I wanted to know whether the "if you could introduce a new law what it would be and why?" question always has to be commercial-related? Or does it depends on the firm?

Do you think that I can ask to the graduate recruitment team to be sure?

Thanks,

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi ,

I wanted to know whether the "if you could introduce a new law what it would be and why?" question always has to be commercial-related? Or does it depends on the firm?

Do you think that I can ask to the graduate recruitment team to be sure?

Thanks,
    Hi @Emilia Hdsn.,

My perspective on this is slightly different to @AvniD's. I think it could be a means to demonstrate commerciality/commercial thinking as well as more general thoughtfulness. Alternatively, you could interpret this as an invitation to introduce an interest in something that you think requires regulation (i.e., the topic definitely does not have to be commercial).

This question is trying to provoke you into a reasoned discussion about a topic using a legal lens. It is trying to provoke creativity and original thought. So long as you can pick an area and an appropriate law in a justified, well-reasoned way, you are good to go!

For what it's worth, here's quote by Locke to think about: "where there is no law, there is no freedom". When I was asked this question, I was reminded of it! It demonstrates that it is not necessary for a law to be primarily about restricting behaviour. Laws can also act to enable or facilitate activity.

Hope that might help to provoke some thoughts on this for you 🚀

Reactions: Emilia Hdsn.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.