Irwin Mitchell Work Experience Stress

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
So, I'm currently in the middle of doing the Irwin Mitchell VS application and on their work experience section they ask for 5000 characters explaining what you've done for each experience. When I met the graduate recruitment team earlier in the year, they told us to include every experience we've had that is relevant and to try and get as close as possible to the character count, but the highest I've managed is 3700 with some of my experiences being around 1500 characters.
It's really stressing me out because I don't know what more I could say and I don't want to be repeating myself.

Does anyone have any advise?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    So, I'm currently in the middle of doing the Irwin Mitchell VS application and on their work experience section they ask for 5000 characters explaining what you've done for each experience. When I met the graduate recruitment team earlier in the year, they told us to include every experience we've had that is relevant and to try and get as close as possible to the character count, but the highest I've managed is 3700 with some of my experiences being around 1500 characters.
    It's really stressing me out because I don't know what more I could say and I don't want to be repeating myself.

Does anyone have any advise?

Do you think graduate recruitment were only trying to say you should write as much as you can? 5,000 characters is ridiculously long for each work experience. I would imagine it's more a maximum limit than a target.

Reactions: Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Do you think graduate recruitment were only trying to say you should write as much as you can? 5,000 characters is ridiculously long for each work experience. I would imagine it's more a maximum limit than a target.
    I'm not sure, that's what I initially thought, but when speaking to other firms they always stress that they want you to be near the word count.

But I agree, 5000 charachters it way too long a target, I'm glad you agree with me on that lol.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    5000 characters explaining what you've done for each experience.

the highest I've managed is 3700 with some of my experiences being around 1500 characters.

Do you mean 5000 characters for each experience, or 5000 characters for all of your experiences? If its the latter, 5000 characters (not words) is actually quite manageable for all of your work experiences combined. I just looked through one of my most recent applications this cycle, and I had about 6800 characters for all of my work experience put together (however, do keep in mind I have graduated university already!).

Personally, whenever I write work experience sections with long word limits, I follow the following format:
    • Brief introduction: What my role was, how long I worked, what department(s) I sat in
    • Overview of daily tasks: Research, drafting, administrative duties, client contact responsibilities (if any), etc...
    • Example(s) of major project or task: Outline your role in the project(s), and whether it was an independent project or a large group task. I usually use these examples to sell myself and to try and demonstrate key skills they may be looking for, like teamwork, ability to handle responsibility, think creatively, an international outlook...etc. I think this helps to set you apart from most other candidates - recruiters probably read endless generic variations of descriptors such as "I completed X piece of legal research and drafted Y legal documents", so highlighting a specific example and providing some detail can help you stand out a little more.
    Some items of work experience will be larger than others, so you shouldn't worry if you take up more space on one piece of experience than the other. You also shouldn't wax eloquent if you really have nothing substantive to add.

Of course, this is just my preferred approach, so feel free to alter as necessary. If you've already fleshed out as much detail as possible, then I wouldn't worry too much about the remaining character count. :)

Last edited:

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Do you mean 5000 characters for each experience, or 5000 characters for all of your experiences? If its the latter, 5000 characters (not words) is actually quite manageable for all of your work experiences combined. I just looked through one of my most recent applications this cycle, and I had about 6800 characters for all of my work experience put together (however, do keep in mind I have graduated university already!).

Personally, whenever I write work experience sections with long word limits, I follow the following format:
    • Brief introduction: What my role was, how long I worked, what department(s) I sat in
    • Overview of daily tasks: Research, drafting, administrative duties, client contact responsibilities (if any), etc...
    • Example(s) of major project or task: Outline your role in the project(s), and whether it was an independent project or a large group task. I usually use these examples to sell myself and to try and demonstrate key skills they may be looking for, like teamwork, ability to handle responsibility, think creatively, an international outlook...etc. I think this helps to set you apart from most other candidates - recruiters probably read endless generic variations of descriptors such as "I completed X piece of legal research and drafted Y legal documents", so highlighting a specific example and providing some detail can help you stand out a little more.
    Some items of work experience will be larger than others, so you shouldn't worry if you take up more space on one piece of experience than the other. You also shouldn't wax eloquent if you really have nothing substantive to add.

Of course, this is just my preferred approach, so feel free to alter as necessary. If you've already fleshed out as much detail as possible, then I wouldn't worry too much about the remaining character count. :)

Hey, I meant the former, they want us to give maximum of 5000 character for each work experience that we've done. Thanks for youur help though on how best to structure a response :)

Reactions: Abstruser

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.