Is anyone doing the SQE at Barbri?

Max Verstappen

Jul 25, 2023
I am planning on self studying the SQE and I was wondering if anyone had experiences with Barbri as a provider? I have heard that they’re spaced repetition model is a good way to learn but I don't know how well it replicates the structure of the actual SQE exam?

Alisha_S

May 31, 2023
I am planning on self studying the SQE and I was wondering if anyone had experiences with Barbri as a provider? I have heard that they’re spaced repetition model is a good way to learn but I don't know how well it replicates the structure of the actual SQE exam?
Hi, I'm currently halfway through the SQE1 part time prep course and have had a good experience overall. I can't comment on whether it mirrors the exam as I'm yet to sit that in January but happy to help on any pre-exam areas?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

ChanYee

Aug 1, 2023
Hello! To start, I highly recommend that you invest in a prep course (even if it's not with Barbri). It will help you to focus especially if you're working full time, as there is quite a lot to prepare and study before you attempt your actual exams.

I did both SQE1 and SQE2 prep courses with Barbri. You're correct that Barbri adopts the "space repetition model", and this is particularly true when it comes to prepping you for the SQE 1 exam which is on an MCQ basis. Barbri will prepare the materials based on the SQE exam specifications, and the prep course for SQE 1 will adopt video lectures, questions, and then reading, before repeating the same process. This is the "space repetition model". Now, their MCQ questions and their materials are drafted in simple English, in comparison to other SQE providers. But, in actual exams, the questions are drafted slightly long, yet you can answer those questions as the prep course is to prepare you to understand the law, and apply the law. Most importantly, they assigned a learning coach to you for SQE 1, and the relationship you build with your learning coach will help you to navigate this SQE route, which often can be stressful especially if you're juggling multiple things!

For SQE 2, it is going to be very different. Whilst to the extent, Barbri adopt some "space repetition model", but SQE 2 is just a different approach. This is because SQE2 consists of various practical exercises designed by Barbri that you need to do and submit for review/feedback. So, time management is key in ensuring you get into the mode of practice, and practice. Also, unlike SQE 1, where the Barbri system will by default set you an hour to study. The Barbri SQE 2 prep course does require you to be self-disciplined and committed to completing the exercise, and it's not different to some of other providers (not all - just to caveat!).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Tara Smith

Aug 2, 2023
Hi! I just completed the SQE 1 exams with Barbri and currently awaiting results, I would also really recommend you invest in a prep course. I applied for the 40-week course and completed this alongside working full time and was highly satisfied with Barbri as a provider. I was able to complete roughly two hours study daily, with flexibility to catch up on any days missed. I found the maximum time needed very useful and realistic to fitting study time into my busy schedule.

I found the fact patterns of the questions in the most recent exam very wordy and long winded compared to a lot of Barbri''s practice MCQs (felt this was designed to throw candidates off a little, as often the facts in the questions weren't relevant). I do feel that many of Barbri's practice MCQs were very similar to the real exam and were very useful as as my main revision tool leading up to the exam.

There are excellent answer discussions at the bottom of every MCQ, which I found very useful, especially where I may have answered incorrectly, it details why the correct answers are correct, reinstating the relevant law and explains why the incorrect answers were not suitable answers for the questions.

Barbri's Lecture videos and revision booklets are very detailed and easy to follow. I particularly found the final condensed-sized revision booklet very useful for the last few weeks leading up to the exams. I met with my Barbri learning coach regularly, who was always very reassuring and helpful with answering any queries.

Overall, I did find that the Barbri materials prepped me to the highest standard possible for the real exam.

Anastasiia Shevchuk

Aug 2, 2023
Hello! I did the SQE1 prep course with Barbri and I highly recommend this provider for your preparation. Even though it does not 100% replicate the structure of the actual SQE exam (particularly because Barbri uses plain English, and gives you smaller scenarios and shorter answers), this course really teaches you well how to understand, memorise and apply the law in any given situation. For example, I found the SQE1 FLK2 part extremely hard on the exam day and was not even sure whether I could get to the pass rate. But when the results came up, it turned out I did FLK2 even better than FLK1, which was definitely a surprise for me. But it just confirms that Barbri indeed prepares you well for the exam because on the day of the exam, you are familiar with the law that applies and the substance of the question, even though you may not be familiar with a structure or given scenario.

The only thing I would definitely emphasise is the importance of using all their materials when preparing in the same way how they tell you to use them. Generally, it starts with an overview of the practice area, lecture, MCQ, book and again MCQ + revision. The space repetition model definitely works well, especially in the way how Barbri presents it.

mj1504

Jan 17, 2024
Hello! I did the SQE1 prep course with Barbri and I highly recommend this provider for your preparation. Even though it does not 100% replicate the structure of the actual SQE exam (particularly because Barbri uses plain English, and gives you smaller scenarios and shorter answers), this course really teaches you well how to understand, memorise and apply the law in any given situation. For example, I found the SQE1 FLK2 part extremely hard on the exam day and was not even sure whether I could get to the pass rate. But when the results came up, it turned out I did FLK2 even better than FLK1, which was definitely a surprise for me. But it just confirms that Barbri indeed prepares you well for the exam because on the day of the exam, you are familiar with the law that applies and the substance of the question, even though you may not be familiar with a structure or given scenario.

The only thing I would definitely emphasise is the importance of using all their materials when preparing in the same way how they tell you to use them. Generally, it starts with an overview of the practice area, lecture, MCQ, book and again MCQ + revision. The space repetition model definitely works well, especially in the way how Barbri presents it.
Im unsure whether Ill pass the FLK1 Im worried I didnt I think barbri was missing this time...in your experience...how accurate are barbri's tests?

methuselah

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2024
Self-studying for the SQE can be a bit of a tightrope walk, but it sounds like you're on the right track considering Barbri as your prep provider. I've heard mixed but generally positive things about their approach.

Barbri's spaced repetition model seems to be a hit, especially for those who need a structured study plan. It's pretty cool because it helps reinforce your understanding over time, which is super important when you're juggling a lot of information. Their materials are known for being concise and straightforward, which can be a real lifesaver when you're trying to get your head around complex legal concepts. However, some people have mentioned that while Barbri's mocks and questions for FLK1 are spot-on, their FLK2 materials might be a bit simpler than the real deal. Also, there’s a bit of feedback suggesting that Barbri doesn’t always focus enough on teaching the names and sections of statutes, which can be crucial in the actual exam.

The learning coach feature is definitely a plus, offering support and guidance, which can be invaluable when you're studying independently. However, it's worth noting that some students felt the need to supplement Barbri's materials with other resources for a more comprehensive coverage, especially for certain topics.

Given all this, it might also be a good idea to check out PastPaperHero (https://www.pastpaperhero.com/browse?board=sra&level=sqe1) for additional practice. It’s a fantastic resource for getting a feel for the SQE1 question style and format, helping to fill any gaps in your preparation.

In the end, it's all about how you prefer to learn and the kind of support you need. Barbri offers a structured and straightforward approach, which could be a great fit for your self-study plan. Just remember, supplementing your main study material with extra resources can give you that extra edge. Good luck with your studies!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.