Is it worth self-funding SQE1+2 after GDL? / please help me figure out a strategy

eclectic04

Dec 6, 2021
Hi, if anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. I just finished my PGDL last month, which was entirely self-funded as I didn’t apply for VS/TC during undergrad. I also made a terrible mistake by not applying for VS during my GDL year because I didn’t feel “ready”. (I have a 1:1 Oxbridge degree and some okay work experience but I have self-esteem and perfectionism issues about not being good enough for the firms I want.)

I’m 100% set on being a solicitor; I just don’t know what to do next to rescue myself and secure a TC. Should I self fund the SQE1+2 next and fire out as many VS/TC applications while I’m studying for them? Or should I take a gap year and give my whole heart out to applying? Am I better off trying to Paralegal? Do any of these options look better or worse from a recruiters POV?

I was set on the self-funding SQE route initially, and had found a BPP SQE1&2 prep course that starts this fall but would it make sense to start in September (and sit the SQE1 in January) when I want to be working on vac scheme apps + doing interviews / assessment centres throughout this time period? Esp since summer VS interviews usually fall around Jan…

I could possibly delay the SQE prep course until their February start (to sit SQE1 in July) but then risk the SQE1 July exam period overlapping with any summer vacation schemes I might have scheduled (if by miracle I secure anything).

I feel a bit lost. If anyone has any thoughts on my dilemma I would appreciate loads as everything feels rather nebulous lately <3

TheLawApplicant

Jun 27, 2023
I think try and get a paralegal gig (or any job) and work hard on applications rather than self fund the SQE. Why? Because the SQE is very expensive and given your academics place you in the top 1% of candidates, assuming you can write a good application form and interview well, you will very very likely get a good TC. I actually don't know anyone with an Oxbridge 1:1 who didn't get a TC if they applied to at least 15+ firms. Why would you spend £14k on a course that would almost certainly be free to you if you wait a year, and would also be less stressful as with a TC there feels less pressure to succeed (imo). Just my advice.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.