GDL -> SQE1 + 2?

ballad[e]

Premium Member
Jul 11, 2021
I was part of the final cohort to do the traditional GDL course. I understand we now have a grace period until 2032 to complete the LPC if we're able to secure a TC at a firm who allows the GDL-LPC route.
However, the firms I'm interested in all require the SQE route. So:

1. Will I need to take any preparation courses to pass the SQE1, or simply revise the old material and look for exam technique help?
2. What's the schedule for the SQE1 exams? When do I need to apply, and when are the actual exams?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was part of the final cohort to do the traditional GDL course. I understand we now have a grace period until 2032 to complete the LPC if we're able to secure a TC at a firm who allows the GDL-LPC route.
However, the firms I'm interested in all require the SQE route. So:

1. Will I need to take any preparation courses to pass the SQE1, or simply revise the old material and look for exam technique help?
2. What's the schedule for the SQE1 exams? When do I need to apply, and when are the actual exams?
1) it is likely you will need some form of prep course to help you prepare for the SQE assessments. You may have the legal knowledge but it’s really about the prep and practice for the assessments that will be important.

2) SQE1 exams are currently mid to late January and mid to late July each year. The exams are two “exams” called FLK1 and FLK2 - FLK1 is mid month and FLK2 in a week later. You have to sit in both FLK1 and FLK2 in the same monthly window - so you can’t sit FLK1 in January and then FLK2 in July.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.