LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) at ULaw

MH

Star Member
Jan 12, 2022
Could someone currently studying the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2 and SQE Plus) please let me know what the weekly course demands are? i.e. how many lectures per week, how many days are these lectures spread across, weekly hours etc. I'd also be interested to know course end dates, I am due to start in September but I cannot find any exact course dates on the ULaw website.

Any other insights appreciated also!

Thanks

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Could someone currently studying the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2 and SQE Plus) please let me know what the weekly course demands are? i.e. how many lectures per week, how many days are these lectures spread across, weekly hours etc. I'd also be interested to know course end dates, I am due to start in September but I cannot find any exact course dates on the ULaw website.

Any other insights appreciated also!

Thanks
    Hi there!

The course structure depends on which provider you go with. Contact the university for course dates if you cannot find it. I'm currently with ULaw and my course structure is as follows (NB: Seminar days and times will vary depending on which group of class you have been assigned to):

1. SQE 1
      1. No lectures.
      2. Ethics were fully covered in two 2-hour back-to-back seminars in the first week.
      3. Roughly one 2-hour seminars for each subject per week (BLP, Criminal Practice, Property Practice, Wills, and Dispute Resolution).
        1. For example:
          1. Monday: BLP and Dispute Resolution
          2. Thursday: Criminal and Property Practice
          3. Friday: Wills
        2. Total weekly seminar hours were at least 10 hours.
          1. Bear in mind, you have to complete the prep work before each seminar, and consolidation work after each seminar (including the weekly practice quiz for each subject).
          2. How long prep and consolidation will take depends on how quickly you can effectively work through the tasks.
        3. Solicitors' Account were covered roughly once every two to three weeks.
      4. Black letter law subjects were self-studies (Contract, Tort, Legal Systems, Constitutional, Land, Trusts).
        1. For each course, each week, the module information will state which subject and chapters to revise.
    2. SQE 2
      1. No lectures.
      2. Roughly one 1.5-hour seminars for each subject per week (CMA, Writing, Drafting, Research, Advocacy, Interviewing).
        1. For example:
          1. Monday: Interviewing and Research
          2. Thursday: Advocacy and CMA
          3. Friday: Drafting and Writing
        2. Total weekly seminar hours were 9 hours.
          1. Bear in mind, you have to complete the prep work before each seminar, and consolidation work after each seminar.
          2. How long prep and consolidation will take depends on how quickly you can effectively work through the tasks.
      3. FLK and black letter law subjects were self-guided revision.
        1. For each course, each week, the module information will state what to revise.
    I am unable to provide you any timetable information for SQE Plus as I have not yet started, but I imagine it will vary significantly depending on the elective modules you have chosen.

You can find the year planning online for your year. I have attached mine as an example:

Year Planner SQE LLM (1).png

If you'd like insights on the actual SQE1 exam, please do let me know.

I hope this helps!

MH

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    Hi there!

The course structure depends on which provider you go with. Contact the university for course dates if you cannot find it. I'm currently with ULaw and my course structure is as follows (NB: Seminar days and times will vary depending on which group of class you have been assigned to):

1. SQE 1
      1. No lectures.
      2. Ethics were fully covered in two 2-hour back-to-back seminars in the first week.
      3. Roughly one 2-hour seminars for each subject per week (BLP, Criminal Practice, Property Practice, Wills, and Dispute Resolution).
        1. For example:
          1. Monday: BLP and Dispute Resolution
          2. Thursday: Criminal and Property Practice
          3. Friday: Wills
        2. Total weekly seminar hours were at least 10 hours.
          1. Bear in mind, you have to complete the prep work before each seminar, and consolidation work after each seminar (including the weekly practice quiz for each subject).
        3. Solicitors' Account were covered roughly once every two to three weeks.
      4. Black letter law subjects were self-studies (Contract, Tort, Legal Systems, Constitutional, Land, Trusts).
        1. For each course, each week, the module information will state which subject and chapters to revise.
    2. SQE 2
      1. No lectures.
      2. Roughly one 1.5-hour seminars for each subject per week (CMA, Writing, Drafting, Research, Advocacy, Interviewing).
        1. For example:
          1. Monday: Interviewing and Research
          2. Thursday: Advocacy and CMA
          3. Friday: Drafting and Writing
        2. Total weekly seminar hours were 9 hours.
          1. Bear in mind, you have to complete the prep work before each seminar, and consolidation work after each seminar.
      3. FLK and black letter law subjects were self-guided revision.
        1. For each course, each week, the module information will state what to revise.
    I am unable to provide you any timetable information for SQE Plus as I have not yet started, but I imagine it will vary significantly depending on the elective modules you have chosen.

You can find the year planning online for your year. I have attached mine as an example:

View attachment 6004

If you'd like insights on the actual SQE1 exam, please do let me know.

I hope this helps!
    Very helpful - thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.